Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Electrostatic Oil Cleaning 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ges888

Mechanical
Sep 12, 2007
GB
Has anyone got experience of electrostatic oil cleaning?
How does it work?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks, that's very helpful.

I'm most interested in the induction charging process. It seems that the electric field between the HV electrode and the grounded electrode induces a charge in the particle impurities? These are then attracted to and held at either electrode right?

If I wanted to induce a negative charge throughout an electrolyte in a cylinder what would the easiest way to do this be?

Can a homogenous charge be maintained throughout the electrolyte without the charge collecting solely on the charged surfaces of the container?

"If I wanted to induce a negative charge throughout an electrolyte in a cylinder what would the easiest way to do this be?"

Simply put a positive charge on an electrode and the electrolyte will be negative in comparison to that electrode. Putting it simply, lightning doesn't need to make an appointment with a tree.

PS: My snake-oil warning light is faintly glowing (but not brightly). Visions of teflon or similar oil additives clogging up the electric filter - assuming it worked at all.

Thanks VE1BLL,

I was thinking about wrapping a +ve electrode around a plastic (capped off) pipe. The interior of the pipe could be grounded.

However, wouldn't this just hold -ve charge against the inside surface of the pipe? Rather than a distributed charge throughout the pipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back