Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Element deletion using subroutine: help with element status output

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aislingoh

Mechanical
Aug 17, 2011
IE
Hi all,

I am running an explicit simulation with vuanisohyper subroutine. I've included a simple failure criterion using element deletion which seems to work well.

My problem is that I can't seem to get abaqus to change the element status from 1 to 0 for deleted elements. stateNew(k,1) is the calculated stress, stateNew(k,2) is my damage flag which equals zero when the failure criterion is reached. In the material definition in the .inp i have

*DEPVAR, delete=2
1,USVM,"User stressVM"
2, damage, "damage flag"

and in the subroutine I have

c Failure criterion
c
if(stateNew(k,1).gt.failurestress) then
field(k,2)=0.0
end if
c
stateNew(k,2)=field(k,2)

Can anybody spot my mistake?

Aisling

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Had a very quick look through your subroutines. You seem to have all the obvious things covered, e.g. often people leave out the STATUS variable request and so it seems elements aren't being removed.

Do the values of statenew(k,1) and statenew(k,2) come out as expected as the analysis progresses? How about the STATUS variable, does its value change at all? As a further check I would print the value of statenew(k,2) at the end of the 'vuanisohyper_inv' subroutine to make sure it is being passed in correctly from vusdfld.

Wait. the answer has just come to me.

At the beginning of the simulation all element status =1.
As the simulation progresses the failure criterion of some elements are met, setting status=0.
These elements are deleted from view immediately, so I never see any elements with status=0.

So it was working all along. and now that I look closely I can see the element erosion taking place, D'OH!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back