Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Elevated Storage Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

BButler505

Structural
Feb 27, 2015
US
I am doing an analysis of an elevated chemical storage tank. Should the liquid be defined as a live load or dead load? Secondly I need some insight into the seismic design of the elevated tank due to sloshing of liquid inside (ASCE chapter/section reference would help). Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I just found the seismic stuff but could not find if the liquid is live or dead load

BButler505 (Structural,
Liquid in containers are Fluid Load "F".
The procedure is same as any tank regardless if is on ground or elevated.
Draw a pic with dimension and information if need more assiatance

Assuming the tank is used for the same kind of chemical throughout its life I would consider it as dead load. Since the weight of the chemical isn't variable, you wouldn't need to consider variability like there is with live load. I would also do two analyses of the tank, one empty (low gravity load, low period = high seismic load), and one full (high gravity load, higher period = potentially lower seismic load).

I edit my response to second SKJ25. Note that ASCE says to include fluids with the same load factor as dead load, so the logic is there.

Check out Section 15.7 of ASCE7-05 for the seismic design of the tank. If this is a reinforced concrete tank I'd also suggest checking out ACI 350 and PCA's Design of Liquid-Containing Concrete Structures for Earthquake Forces. As for the liquid itself SKJ25POL is right its a "Fluid Load," which gets its own load factors. The seismic forces that are induced by the sloshing fluid, should be classified as an earthquake load.

Hope this helps!!

Thanks guys. I have analyzed the tank with its full design load. The tricky part will be the analysis of the elevated tank for sloshing under seismic loads. The tank and contents weight = 400kips and is elevated 16 ft.

For foundation design of water tanks, AWWA D100 specifies that water weight is to be considered a live load. I don't think that's a different approach so much as an attempt to make sure the design is more conservative than usual.

And, for elevated water tanks, AWWA D100 does not consider sloshing effects. I think there are two issues there. One is, that ground storage tanks are vertical cylinders, there's been a lot of work done on dynamic effects of that shape, and so it's easily codified. But elevated tanks are a variety of spherical/cylindrical/conical/toroidal shapes, and combinations thereof, and so it's not as easy to work with. The second thing is that on a larger ground storage tank, consideration of sloshing effects leads to a reduction in the forces, not an increase, so neglecting sloshing is conservative in those cases.

You've got four places to look at the "live" (changing) loads - compared to a "dead" (never-changing, very predictable) load. Make sense?

The fluid level can be assumed empty or full. Pretty easy.

But, the changing loads hit you four places:
The tank-to-support welds and their fasteners.
The tank-support stress levels. (middle of the post stresses)
The tank-support-to-base-plate loads,
then the base-plate-to-concrete pads loads, and the subsequent pads-to-dirt loads underneath the concrete)

A dead load (in civil terms) is easier to predict than a live load, seismic loads at all four places are the hardest of all. So, the difference in codes tends to give the biggest margins to the hardest-to-predict stresses. That's the reason for the difference in terms for the tanks - how well can somebody predict what is going to happen in worse-case conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back