Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

elevated text from a cylinder

Status
Not open for further replies.

alphaguru

Aerospace
Apr 18, 2006
US
Can anyone help me with this issue? I'm trying to place elevated text from a cylinder. My problem is that you cant use a curved surface as a sketching plane. If I place a plane outside of the cylinder and extrude to the cylinder followed by a revolved cut there is some warping of the text. This happens for both a text sketched projected to cylinder as well as wrapped text about the cylinder. If I place text on a datum inside the cylinder to a surface offset from the outer cylinder wall the same effect occurs. I'm trying to elevate the text out from the cylinder in a circular fashion to have a uniform offset as well as no warping of the text.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1. Create the text on the surface using the "Edit", "Wrap" feature. Works like projecting, but when you create the section, you have to add a coordinate system in the section (sketch, coordinate sys). The system projects the coordinate system onto the part and then "wraps" or "forms" the curves to the surface.

2. Select the surface you want the text on, and then select "Edit" "Offset". From the drop-down in the dashboard, change the type to "with Draft Feature". "Use edges" in the section and complete the feature.

Good luck.

------------
Jason Williams
K Development, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back