Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Elevation

Status
Not open for further replies.

aakanksha

Civil/Environmental
Mar 3, 2004
US
Hai,

Iam trying to calculate elevations based on contours.
this is entirely a new topic to me.
i have 3 cells which are one below the other and i have contours for all the 3 cells and a sump below them.
water from these 3 cells is flowing into a sump thru a pipe.
Water in the pipe pushes back into the pipe based on the depth of water collected in the sump.
i know the depth of water in the sump.
how can i tell how much water is pushed back into each of these cells based on elevation?
Anyone, please guide me.

Thanks,
aakanksha

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First may I ask if these "cells" are ponds or are they some type of storage containers? Also do these cells have positive drainage from one to the other? Or are they essentially at the same elevation? Maybe more description will help.
Typically if there is positive drainage, bernoulli's principal will apply for flow in one direction with the total head increasing in the upstream direction. Give some more detail, please.

The way I understand your description, the water surface elevation in a "cell" would be the same elevation as in the sump, plus the friction head and pipe inlet loss for the connecting pipe.

Additional Information:
I have a contour map for my site. Can anyone give me the elevation details based on the map for the 3 cells?
contours are clear.
i want the elevation details.
calculations part am clear.

Thanks,
aakanksha

What is a cell? How the ground contours may affect the elevation of cell? Your question is not clear at all.

The contour lines show elevations. What's the problem? All you have to do is extrapolate between the lines if they don't fall on the bottom of the cell. If the lowest line above base of cell is 24 and the lines are 4 ft. increments and the line below the base of the cell is 20. Estimate the distance between the two and between the cell base and either line. Use linear extrapolation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back