Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Elevator recall and shunt issues 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LGENE

Electrical
Jul 2, 2004
US
Is elevator recall required on a building with just tow floors? Is elevator recall required on a buildling with a wheel chair lift? When a shunt trip for the power in the elevator shaft is tied to the smokes or heats under the temp rating for the sprinkler system does it have to be tied to the FACP and supervised or can you install heats and relays that will accomplish the shunt without the use of the FACP panel that has battery backup and supervision?

NFPA 72-55 (2002) 6.15.4

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As I read NFPA 72 (2002) 6.15.4.5 on page 55 I interpret that as stating that detectors that are used for elevator shut down need to be monitored for integrity by the Fire Alarm Control Panel.

Generally if an elevator travel has two floors and is less than 25 feet of travel, then recall is not required. The heat detector is required and must have a lower temp rating than that of the 165 Deg. sprinkler head. Supervisory monitoring is required.

I agree with above posts.

Re "Supervisory monitoring is required" -- note that even if your building does not have a fire alarm system (it may not be required to have an FACP), then you need to install an elevator monitoring panel. What is this panel? It is an FACP that is not providing any real fire alarm functionality, it's only purpose is to monitor your recall equipment.

Check out the elevator code (A17.1) for more info.

mmt019 is correct, but if you are going to trip an elevator, you most likely do not want to trap its occupants in the car. The heat detector should be a minimum of 15 degrees less than the sprinkler head rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back