Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Eliminate CO2 from steam coming out of boiler 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mara21

Chemical
Oct 25, 2011
GB
WHAT IS GOING ON:

The steam coming out of the boiler contains CO2 which disolves in the condenser and forms carbonic acid, which causes corrosion in the condensate systems. The chemical that is being injected to control that corrosion is Tri-act.

WHAT DO I WANT TO DO:

I want to install a degeaser unit or flash drum right after the boiler unit, that will take away the CO2 from the steam and that way we wont need to inject Tri-act anymore.
If I install a flash drum, we'll have to play around with presure and temperatures, to transform steam into water and keep CO2 as gas to venet it out.

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK? ANY IDEA?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I THINK THAT YOU SHOULD TURN YOUR CAPSLOCK OFF !!!

Also, you should learn about how a deaerator works....how it removes both oxygen and CO2 to help preseve your capital investment.

That flash drum just downstream of the boiler sounds like a really bad idea. IMHO, it would require a really big vent

Please tell us.....how is your DA running ?

MJCronin,
Having a bad morning? Nothing wrong with his format, using all caps for headers is a reasonable format.

As to trying to scavenge CO2 from steam with chemicals or a flash tank doesn't seem that great an idea either.

David

MJCronin

Yes, the deaerator removes both oxigen and CO2, but not all of the CO2 is removed since it comes out in the water as bicarbonate alkalini, which is later dissociated in the boiler when the water turns into steam and creates CO2.

----

David

Okay, so what's your idea?

You can't use a downstream flash tank to remove CO2. Your CO2 is evenly dispersed through the steam stream. So you would need to vent your entire steam stream or condense it into your flash tank which would waste your steam's latent heat.

You need to look at optimizing your triact feed. Or look into a different neutralizing agent. Is your goal only to reduce cost?

If your DA is working properly the CO2 concentration should be removed down to the ppb range. That along with effective chemical dosing should minimize the formation of carbonic acid.

And... you need to check your condenser operation to make sure (1) that your non-condensable off take is working well, (2) that your non-condensable collection section tubes are clean and not fouled (if tubular), and that (3) you are not getting any subcooling in your hotwell.

rmw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back