Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ELLIPSE DRAG & LIFT COEFFICIENTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRS957

Mechanical
Jun 25, 2002
US
I need to determine the total drag force applied from a moving liquid to an elliptical shaped pipe. The final objective is to determine the bending moment and the bending stress of the pipe due to this force. Drag loads are outside my normal job requirements, therefore I have very little information on drag coefficients.

To visualize the problem, imagine a flowing river with a partially submersed 10 foot long vertical post. The top end of the post is bolted to a boat dock 2 foot above the waters surface, the bottom end of the post is not attached to anything and is approx. 2 foot above the bottom of the river bed. The water velocity is in the range of 2 to 25 foot/sec.

The elliptical pipe is essentially a 10 foot long, 4.5 inch od round steel pipe which has been somewhat flattened into an elliptical cross section.
The ellipse outside dimensions are approx. 5.5 inch major axis x 3.3125 inch minor axis (ratio of 1.66:1)

The flow direction is perpendicular to the long axis of the ellipse.
I have found several references which state the drag force coefficient Fd as 1.6 but have not found anything on the lift coefficient.
Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi MRS957:

If the flow is PERPENDICULAR to the long axis of the ellipse
you do not have LIFT forces but you can find only DRAG
forces.

Anyway, look to " Fluid-dynamic Lift" of S.F. Hoerner,
page 2-6 and 2-7. You cand find some elliptic airfoil data.

Regards

Mohr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back