Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Elongating light spot 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

htsmech

Mechanical
Aug 20, 2003
US
I am trying to illuminate a surface with light from a light guide. At the distance I am using, the spot is 7mm dia, but the surface is 7x28. Can I use a plano-concave cylindrical lens to stretch the spot 4:1 in one direction? If so, how can I calculate the object distance given the focal length and elongation? If not, is there a better alternative? Space is very limited. I can handle the 4:1 reduction in intensity, but not the 16:1 reduction from expanding the beam in both directions.

Thanks,

Steve

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What do you do with the light? do you sense it, look at it,
reflect it to a sensor ?

You can find equations in any physics book.

<nbucska@pcperipherals.com>

IRStuff has the best idea, if your problem permits. The next-best solution for limited space is a holographic diffuser.

POC ( sells light-shaping diffusers with elongation primarily along one axis. These spread angles are most likely suited to your needs:

40ºx0.2º
30ºx5º

CEV

Hi
first ignore the azimuth which is correct as your lens will have no optical power in that direction. second work out your magification (or reduction) . This is the ratio of guide dimension to 16mm , image dimension. From basic optics image to object distance ration is the same. so using the lens formaula 1/v+1/u = 1/f (You know u/v ) you can work out your focal length in the power azimuth.
opticsman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back