Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

email server software

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevindav

Computer
Feb 3, 2003
US
I'm running w2k advanced server with idsl. Would like to hear some of the best recommendations for running my own email server without going to the expense of Microsoft Exchange server. I am programmer not a netadmin so this is not my area.

Thank you
Kevin

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you do not want to invest much, the only safe way is to install Linux. It brings allong all server-software you can think off. I use Mandrake 9 and I am very satisfied with it. Do take the lates distribution though, the newest KDE3 and Gnome 2 are graitly improved.

gvh,

Thank you for your reply. I've asked alot of people many questions lately about this subject. I am going to switch to Linux. I have had strong recommends for the Debian OS. Have you tried Debian and if so Do you like Mandrake better. Also, What kind of virus protection can you recommend. Any more appropriate info. would be appreciated.

Thank You,

Kevin

kevin,

check out Red hat as well. fantastic package. Scotsdude[bravo]
Life is nothing without beer
Help us help you - let us know when our insane scribblings help!!!

Hi kevindav,
I did not try any other distribution than Mandrake. As I said, I am very satisfied with it. But not everything is working the way Mandrake says it should. I think this is the case with all distributions. I stick with Mandrake because I know people who know everything about that distribution and can help me out on the command line whenever the grafical user interface for installing programms is not working properly. As I am not a computer expert, this is the best I can do: stick to one distribution and try to get to know it as much as possible. If you have friends who can help you out, you should let them make the choice.

Linux machine themselves are not very sensitive to virusses, but they do transport them like any other data. It would be nice to destroy virusses on the linux machine before they come to your windows machine. The only free virusscanners for linux are command line scanner though. McAffee and some others have other scanners that scan every I/O, but these do cost some hundred dollars (about 400,-)

Good luck with your choice.

Good morning Kevin-

By going to linux, as pointed out, your email server can be used to do some simple virus scans by using a service such as procmail. Procmail is a package that uses a ruleset to determine what and or how a particular message is to be handled. It can be used to filter unwanted spam (to some degree), filter out viruses, forward messages to additional places.

As for SMTP servers, there are two that seem to be popular.

The "traditional" server is sendmail. This has been on 'nix systems for many years and comes with most distributions.

The second is exim, which I haven't used, but is said to be much easier to configure. will get you there.

Being a "traditional" (read as old fart) unix guy, I use sendmail for my mail server. I did not find it too difficult to set up and it is a breeze to maintain.

As to distributions, I have used both Debian and Redhat.

It is my feelings that Red Hat provides a much more friendly configuration environment for a newbie to linux than what is provided by Debian. A "typical" Red Hat distribution does take more disk space than a debian "typical" debian installation. However, for ease of use and getting started, I feel that the Red Hat might be more "user friendly". If you have a disk drive with about 2 Gig of space, you will be fine. The Red Hat "defaults" to loading more packages than Debian. You can certianly use both to load or not load as many packages as you want ;-)

Both are fine distributions. Both are available over the
internet for free. You should however, have a high speed link as you will be downloading a couple of CDroms of data for your efforts. Both are also available at nominal cost as CDroms, either by mail order or in larger computer stores.

By all means also look to your local community for linux users groups. In our area (Silicon Valley) our local group has "install parties" monthly. You bring your box and distritbution, and someone that has already blazed the path will help you install it! Also local colleges in your area might provide assistance with the installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back