Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Embedded Cans with Chemical Anchors

Status
Not open for further replies.

aswierski

Structural
Apr 3, 2009
US
My company received a work scope from a client specifying the use of "embedded cans with chemical anchors installed inside the cans." The spec also explicitly states that "embedded anchors are not to be used." Does anyone know what this is? Or can anyone guide me in the right direction?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not sure what it means but it doesnt sound good to me. Concrete anchors are designed to bond to concrete not to metal.

I would suggest you use threaded inserts instead.

Another thing I'm not sure of is if the chemical anchors are bonded to the can, how is the can bonded to the concrete?? Something's awry...

It seems nutty to me. I'll bet they had some bolt location problems on a previous job. Soup type cans are corrugated so they would provide a mechanical bond inside and out.

We used to use a styrofoam or wood plug attached to the form to make a hole to epoxy a bolt in later.

Michael.
Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

We will call for the contractor to cast anchor bolts in a thick equipment pad with a tin can around the top of each bolt. The can will provide a void form for the concrete with the bolt located in the center of the void. The bottom of the bolt is anchored in the initial concrete equipment pad placement. The can is removed after the concrete cures.

Then the equipment is attached to the anchor bolts using leveling nuts. The voids allow some lateral movement of the anchor bolts to facilitate the proper location to match the holes in the equipment base.

Once the equipment is installed and leveled, nonshrink grout will be packed in the voids and under the equipment base plate.

I am not certain how this would work with chemical anchors or if this is even the same type of job.

Stevegregorys idea is standard practice in the UK although here they use a cone shaped void and an oversized washer for anchorage.

This is never ised for chemical anchors only for cast in place. In fact if you use chemical anchors doesnt this negate the need for tolerance.

I would suggest you look up the AISC presentation on steel fixes they have a really goood section on anchor bolts and come up with some really good suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back