Embedded Copper tube repair Method

Status
Not open for further replies.

BijuVyttila

Mechanical
Nov 27, 2019
US
Hello all,
We have a 1” diameter copper (ASTM B88 Type K) line embedded in mass concrete that is part of a Piezometer system that is not holding pressure in a hydro dam project.
Prior to concrete placement it was tested and held a test pr of 290psi, but post concrete placement the pressure quickly falls to 125psi, then gradually to 0.
Total length is about 30 meters, with 6 nos of 1" elbows - so we are expecting the leak somewhere around first 15 meters.
As this is embedded no way knowing where the leaks are - so looking for an expertise, suggestions or experience in dealing such situation

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Corrosion! You probably have corrosion in the tubes which is causing the pressure drop. Try using a borescope to view the inside of the pipe to check for this. Embedding copper in concrete is not a great idea.

If it is mechanical damage installing a plastic lining may be your best option.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

I'm guessing that during concrete placement or curing, (at least) one of the joints and/or the bottom cap came loose.

What pressure range is actually required for the use of the piezometer system? Water exerts a pressure of ~0.43 lb/in2 per foot of static pressure, so even 100ft (~30m) of head should only need to resist ~43 psi, and I would expect the concrete surrounding the pipe to provide that easily.

I would at least look into the cost to abandon the pipe and install another instrument to compare against the potential cost of rehabilitation/repair measures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back