Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Embedded item in to slab 1

KevinNZ

Mechanical
Jun 12, 2003
NZ
Hi

Can I please have recommendations for additional reinforcing to transfer moments and forces on a steel pipe imbedded item into a slab. The embedded item is the only loading point on the foundation so there a lot of load to transfer into the slab.
We can add holes for bars through the embedded item

Screenshot_2024-10-03_120839_q7cj3h.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Or something like this if you really have to move a monster load. At that point, I'd be inclined to use a square tube for the bit embedded into the concrete and just weld rebar to the side walls.

c01_dks5z2.jpg

The plates and rebar will give you a chance to keep the embedded item in place during concrete casting. If this is internal, I would consider placing the 'cap' plate down on the formwork for that reason.

Hopefully you've got a deep enough embedment or potentially you could form a pry-out kind of failure surface similar to that of anchors to concrete. Cast in plates with welded rebar like KootK along with vertical ties would help. I don't know if the rebar through drilled holes will do too much for you as a primary load resistance mechanism but I think it would provide additional ductility and redundancy if a pryout style failure occurs, similar to integrity reinforcement over an RC column (in fact when we have steel columns holding up RC floors we typically detail the integrity reinforcement as bars drilled through the column).

Back