Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Embedded Rails In Concrete

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZBYASE

Structural
Oct 26, 2022
US
I am designing rails for an industrial facility that will be embedded in concrete. We are pouring a slab, doing a leave out for the rails, using post installed anchors to place them, and then grouting in the rails. For the rails themselves I am using wide flange members. I have my loads and design flange widths from the machine manufacturer who makes the carts that will ride on the rails.

My main concern is designing the concrete and steel. I wasn't sure whether or not to design it as a composite beam, or design my steel to take all of my moment and then just worry about the point loads on the concrete below. If anyone has any pointers or design references for this sort of thing that would be much appreciated!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you mean composite behavior btw WF rails and slab? NO!! You may design the WF beam supported on elastic foundation.

The WF rail will distribute the point loads . You may take reaction of above beam on elastic foundation analysis.

He is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently against that house, and could not shake it, for it was founded on the rock..

Luke 6:48

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back