Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Emergency switch machine room EN378

Status
Not open for further replies.

cardin

Mechanical
Aug 5, 2003
NO
I have a machineroom existing of 2 floors,(basicly 2 machine rooms). They are only connected by piping coming for one floor to the other through an open hole in the room.
At this point there is no Emergency switch for any of the rooms only the compressors have their own switches.

Both rooms have their own entrance and there is no stair leading from one room to the other room.

In my opinion both rooms should haved their own emergency switch, outside the room and inside the room. The switches should lock down both rooms. This because they are connected it would be strange not to have this. I however did not find any information on this in EN378 or ISO13850.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not second guessing myself, but in doubt if there are any requirements in EN378 or other related standards that support this.

If you suddenly turn off equipment in one room what happens to the equipment in the other?

Will it not care at all? Will it shut down because they are already interlocked? Will it shut down because it becomes upset that its source or sink has suddenly gone away?

Codes exist to define minimum requirements and offer guidance to engineers like yourself. They do not and cannot cover every case or eliminate the need for engineering judgement.

Exactly, the requirements in the Standard cover the basic situations. However in this case some think that the machine rooms can be seen as one, since there is an open connection of piping. In my opinion you are not able to see what happens in the other room so you need to be sure the safety of the operators is secured and therefore you need 2 switches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back