Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

EMT conduit in basements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrath

Mechanical
Mar 24, 2003
US
Is the use of EMT mandatory in cross basement? What about atticks which are not livable? I live in Lake County, Indiana. thx.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not sure exactly of your term "cross basement". However, no EMT is required in residential basement or attic applications unless 3 stories above grade is exceeded. In said instance, EMT would be one option.

You need to check the local code. The city of Chicago and many of the suburbs in that area require conduit in all residential occupancies. I'm not sure if any of the Indiana cities have the same rules.
Don

Chrath - you should probably have put your original post either in the IEEE or NFPA forums, as I sincerely doubt that there's any townships in Indiana which have adopted IEC standards.

NEC (NFPA) does not require conduit for most installations, non-metallic jacketed cable (such as Romex) or metallic/armoured cable (such as type AC, BX) is often sufficient. However, as mentioned by resqcapt19, there are MANY jurisdictions, especially in or near to urban areas, which reject Romex/AC/BX/etc., and instead required EMT.

You should check with your local AHJ.

Hey guys, Where can I find the specific dimensions of EMT conduit threads for 1/2", 3/4", 1" (Pitch, tooth profile,etc) I need to model a standard electrical connector with using the exact same dimensions that are already out there so we can use existing conduit and fittings.

Chrisk1:

1. Your question probably should have been posted as a new question, rather than a continuation of this thread. Your quesion does not seem to have much to do with IEC installations in Indiana.

2. Good luck finding threaded EMT. Is this a trick question? EMT is generally installed using compression or set-screw fittings, although threaded adapters are available for transition to rigid conduit. Your existing conduit is most likely not EMT, but rather intermediate or rigid conduit.

3. Conduit threads match tapered pipe threads. Check plumbing resources for more info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back