Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

EMTP-RV nonlinear L data conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

eigendamper

Electrical
Mar 6, 2013
I am trying to model a line reactor as a nonlinear inductance in EMTP-RV. I would like to model the reactor as having a ferromagnetic core with a nonlinear B-H profile. The type-93 element is a true nonlinear inductor, but this model does not take into account number of turns or core geometry. There is a nonliner L data conversion element that will accept Vrms - Irms or L - i data and convert it to flux - i using trapezoidal integration. This is the method I would like to use since I can provide L data that takes in account core geometry and number of turns.

The problem that I am having is finding instructions on how to input the L-i data (in matrix form). I think this is a syntax issue, but I cannot find any instructions/examples on how to use this element other than the brief help document in EMTP-RV which is almost useless.

Can someone here refer me to a good reference or provide knowledge based on personal experience?

Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have modeled non-linear inductance in Matlab's SimPower package and found that to be pretty straight forward. SimPower is a pretty solid package if you have the option of using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back