Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Emulsion Interfacial Surface Tension / Shear

Status
Not open for further replies.

TiCl4

Chemical
May 1, 2019
CA
Can anyone point me to references that address interfacial surface tensions for emulsions, as well as any reference on shear rate vs particle size of the dispersed phase for emulsions?

All I can seem to find is oil/water-type references and measurements. I'm not sure physical or optical tensiometers would work for emulsions; would measuring the surface tension before mixing the two phases (with the surfactant pre-mixed with the aqueous phase) give a representative number for surface tension? Or would the surface tension value change as the two phases are blended?

I'm piloting a process that shears an emulsified non-polar phase to a particular particle size, and knowing/predicting interfacial surface tension is a key component in that scale-up process. Some of the pilot data is odd, and I'm trying to get a handle on the main factors affecting the final particle size.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back