EN 13480 and impact test

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElCidCampeador

Mechanical
May 14, 2015
IT
Hello,

according to a project of a client, I have to build a pipeline which is designed acc. to EN 13480.
Pressure design is 1,5 bar, Temperature design 230°C, MDMT= -20°C.

Material of pipes, fittings and flanges: P245GH.

Checking on the internet and each item standard (e.g. EN 10253 for fitting), it seems not correct to use that material because its common use is 0°C or higher temperature.

So:

1) Do you think P245GH is correct @ assigned MDMT?
2) Does EN 13480 require impact test @ MDMT for that material or you can't use it at all?

I'm a little confused, I usually work with ASME, not EN...

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Also not fluent with EN, but from ASME experience I would choose a different material, as there apparently far better materials available for use at -20C, such as ASTM A333. Even use of API 5L at that temp is acceptable, if you do the low temp Charpy tests.

ulyssess said:
Material tested at 0°C can be used at a lower temperature, see EN 13480 Part 2 Appendix B, Method 2 , subclause B.2.3.

Thanks for the tip...but how Figure B.2.3.2-2 works is a human mistery like gioconda's smile...bah

You might recommend to your client, via an engineering decision notice, to do the low temp Charpy anyway. They can decide and you've got it in writing.

Unfortunately I only have edition 2012 at my hand and not the latest edition 2017. In edition 2012 there is no figure B.2.3.2-2 and this was at my knowledge not changed in edition 2017. I can explain the procedure using fig B.2-2. This nomogram is valid for minimum yield strength <= 265 MPa, as-welded condition. The test temperature TKV for P245GH is 0 deg. C.
If your reference thickness eB is 10 mm than you can use the material down to a design reference temperature TR of -60°C.
If your reference thickness eB is 35 mm than you can use the material down to a design reference temperature TR of -20°C.
Thicknesses in between are to be linearly interpolated.
If your material is PWHT or non-welded than use fig. B.2-1.
Reference thickness eB is taken from table B.4-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back