EN 13480 - Pipe Branch Connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

FH01

Mechanical
Mar 28, 2024
ZA
Hello Everyone

I'm currently busy with a piping specification for a project located in the EU, piping design to be in accordance with EN 13480 (As per client request).

To the best of my knowledge, no olet fittings complying with (ISO/EN) is available. What is common practice in the EU relating to branch connections?

Is ASME olets used with the EN piping? What will the implication relating to the PED be following this approach?

Currently I'm specifying stub-in connections for branches where reduced tee's are not available.

Thank you in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Good point. This is just one of the issues about working with EN 13480, i.e. lack of certain standards and/or materials.

I think that as long as you satisfy conformity with PED Annex I (the ESR's), you're OK. That would relate to a.o. material (e.g. making a PMA). I think that's the easy part.
Have you checked if the word integrally reinforced is located somewhere in one of the EN 13480 standards? See e.g. table H.3 in part 3.
Otherwise, EN 13480 generally lacks in a lot of things where B31.3 has provisions. On the other hand, EN 13480 has a formula or calculation method for almost anything, but a lot of those method are used for items of which the average piping engineering usually sees little application.

Huub
- You never get what you expect, you only get what you inspect.

Which DIN standard covers integrally reinforced branch fittings?

Huub

Looks like MSS SP-97 or nothing.

--Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

Apologies for the slow reply.

I have done some further digging regarding the use of MSS SP-97 weld-olets with EN 13480.

The biggest hurdle I noted was the internal bore off-set between STD Weld-olets and EN 10216 piping (Matching the wall thickness to EN 1092-1 WN flanges collar thickness).

My proposition for using weld-olets got declined by the client, based on concerns of availability in the EU and not conforming to EN standards (although it is not explicitly stated that weld-olets cannot be used). Hence for branches where reducing tee's are not available we will opt for stub-in/on.

Thanks for the comments regarding this topic.

Admittedly, I've never worked with EN 13480 - but, I would assume it has something in there to address branch reinforcement requirements to determine if your stub-in/on's are going to require repads for pressure design?

If you're writing a pipe spec, the branch connections are going to have to be rated for the design pressure and temperature limits of the spec.

Edward L. Klein
Pipe Stress Engineer
Houston, Texas

"All the world is a Spring"

All opinions expressed here are my own and not my company's.

Correct, such a section is in there. It’s even more prescriptive than B31.3 with actual rules, like for example a dedicated temperature limit above which repads (due to fillet welds) are not allowed anymore. EN 13480 also has something called a forged tee. There was a topic about that here on ET not so long ago, I think those are also not as good available.
It’s actually worth a look to know what is in there

Huub

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back