Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

EN & ASME together

Status
Not open for further replies.

mw87

Dec 9, 2017
PL
Hi!
What do you think about connection 2 different standards.
My Client wants to do pressure vessels acc. PED, manufacturing acc. EN 13445,
but at the same time calculating, designing and delivery of material acc. ASME.
I'm just trying to figure out how to do it.. and I still don't know.
Any idea??

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thats a definite no-go. How on earth do you want to accomplish something like that? I wouldnt have any idea how to do it. When you say manufacturing to EN 13445, does it mean your WPS's and WPQ's are EN ISO 15609/15614 resp. EN ISO 9606? And then design is fully ASME VIII-1? Material to ASME SA acc II-D?

Mixing two codes is generally not a good idea. When PED kicks in, using ASME makes it a bit more trickier (but neverthless, fairly easy - it's done all the time, see e.g. ASME PTB-10).

Your client is asking for troubles you dont want to get into.

Agreed with XL83NL.

You can't "cherry-pick" code requirements, even to "mix them." You either meet the code, or you do not. For example, you aren't going to get an ASME stamp on the vessel by following half the code.

In general for a situation as you describe, I would expect the vessel to be designed and manufactured to the code or standard for which it will be certified - if the client wishes to impose additional requirements on top of that, they may do so (typically via a specification or something similar).

Agreed with the 2 above, you don't do it that way.

You will acc the vessel to PED, manufacture to ASME and upgrade the processes of ASME to PED. Material will be ASME (but have to be accepted/upgraded to PED by paperwork review). WPS/PQR will need to be upgraded to EN ISO 15609/15614 and reviewed by the NOBO. They accept ASME tests in PED, but you will be missing macro-sections etc, or impact testing on materials whereas we wouldn't normally do so.

It is best to contract a consultant who will coordinate this and advise you on how to upgrade items as needed. You should contact the consultant to review your QMS and advise on how to upgrade all documentation and procedures everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back