EN13001-1 - stresses arising from local effects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricarvalhal

Mechanical
May 3, 2024
IT
Dears,
I would like to ask your interpretation of the "stresses arising from local effects" that should be added the stresses of load effects, then this sum is compared with the allowable stress, defined in Figure 3 or chapter 4.2.7.2 of EN13001-1.

Second point is about the statement of "for proof that yielding" should we understand that as a criterion ?

Thanks in advance

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=050da059-c01d-40b9-a9a1-43499c959fb7&file=Capture.PNG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Capture_yno1nj.png

pasting in the image is better.

"local effects" is presumably referring to either local stress concentrations (holes, notches, etc) and/or do to local stresses at the point of application of discrete loads.

EN 13001-1 says "nominal stress" plus any stress from local effects, but it is not saying local stress or stress concentration. Is there any material or reference to clarify the topic ?
thanks in advance

Maybe if you post a sketch of the particular part geometry that you are analyzing, along with an analysis summary (what analysis methods are you using?) and calculated stress fields, we could give specific input. There are way too many possible "local effects" to be able to provide generalized guidance.

Re the "proof from yielding" presumably means the analysis shows there is no local yielding; I'm guessing this requirement is intended to avoid fatigue failures.

I don't have the entire EN standard, have never used it, and have never analyzed crane structures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back