Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

End connection weld demand for an I-beam bending about the minor axis

Status
Not open for further replies.

39leon

Structural
Jan 9, 2024
AU
Hi folks, relatively new engineer here. I have a question about determining the weld demand for an end connection on an I-beam that’s bending about its minor axis.

When dealing with an I-beam bending about its major axis, the simplified approach typically involves resolving the couple of forces resulting from the bending moment. The tension at the top flange is resisted by the fillet welds, while the compression at the bottom flange is transferred to the column and stiffeners.
Screenshot_2024-08-09_170355_kr8ss9.png

However, I’m curious how this changes when the beam is rotated 90 degrees and bends about its minor axis, fillet welded all around. Although I haven't encountered this configuration in practice, I'm interested in understanding how to evaluate the weld demand in such a case. Would it follow the same principles, or are there different considerations that come into play?
Screenshot_2024-08-09_172427_mwoset.png

I'd appreciate any insights or references you can share.

Cheers.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Imagine a fin plate welded to the column - it's like that but two of them.

You can't simplify it to quite the same extent but treating the welds as lines, two vertical welds is not difficult to analyse.

Hi George, thanks for the guidance. I was able to find my old notes for web side plate/fin plate design and evaluating the weld stresses, which in this case would be distributed to the 2 flanges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back