Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

End Plate Moment Connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

abusementpark

Structural
Dec 23, 2007
US
What do you guys use for design of end plate moment connections? I have been doing it by hand using equations based on yield-line theory that are presented in my steel textbook (Segui)?? The equations are pretty long and tedious. It is quickly becoming apparent that hand calcs aren't a feasible option because it is a bear to make changes to the connection without having to rerun the numbers. Of course, these connections are subject to a detail requirements and get changed a lot. I am just curious how you guys usually handle these connections??

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is a procedure in DG #4. There is also a procedure in the green book on page 4-116. Finally, you can just design it as a baseplate subjected to shera and moment if you have something like RAM baseplate that can do it quickly.

StructuralEIT,
Does RAM baseplate address all of the provisions of the AISC 358 for SMurF's? I just crawled through that armed with Excel...

AISC's Design Guide 16 also covers this issue. Both DG4 and AISC 358 are more oriented to seismic considerations where the design must meet the full capacity of the cross section, not just whatever loads are really present. DG16 offers an equivalent solution but based on real loads on the connection.

We just wrote a spreadsheet to do all the calculations - works great and allows quick variations in design parameters. We used DG 16 per ajh1's post to set it up. Try doing that yourself.

I just wrote a spreadsheet (EXCEL) to do all the calculations based in AISC GUIDES

I agree with others. It is better to create an Excel program. It might not be as accurate as software in market or gives bigger sizes but better than doing by hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back