Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

endmill tool neck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiggum

Mechanical
Nov 20, 2019
HU
Hi, how should I define a simple 10mm endmill?
it has ~ 20mm flute length,
then ~ 10mm undergrinding at 9.2mm diameter
finally ~ 40mm shank.

When I try it as 70mm 'length' and 20mm 'flute length',
how is the 50mm gray part treated? Is it a shank? Or a neck?
When I set tool neck clearance 0, it collides with the part ...
Fraisa endmill

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello wiggum,
You didn't mention what version you are on. For tools without a neck parameter I believe the gray segment is treated as a shank. I'm currently using version 12 and and testing 1872 series (1892). I thought in the new version that neck definition was added to 5,7 and 10-parameter tools but I just checked and it appears not. However there are neck diameters for other tools such as barrel, taper and tangent barrel, and spherical. I have also run into the clearance issue you describe; in 3D Dynamic Verify will return false errors which is super annoying to say the least. I might get around to calling GTAC this week so if I find out more information I will post it here.

NX 12.0.2
Testing 1888
EVP's

Sorry, it is 1872. I am changing powermill to NX, and I try to find the way to do what we had in powermill. Thanks!

I recently spoke with support and they confirmed there is not a neck diameter parameter for 5,7 and 10 parameter tools. Why this hasn't been incorporated as of yet is beyond me. I get collision errors in 3D verify frequently which in reality is simply zero clearance even though my tools physically have neck clearance but it's still annoying.

One workaround is to set the SD value smaller than the tool diameter and forego having a shoulder defined, if you don't have to collision check the shoulder. This should effectively give you the proper neck definition. If you need an undersized neck and a shoulder then you'll have to wait for an enhancement. For my application I require the shoulder for collision checking and put up with erroneous 3D Verify errors. Also, I believe you can specify the length and the flute length the same to have the neck start at the top of the flutes.

NX 12.0.2
Testing 1888
EVP's

In 1899 version is prepared new parameter RD for diameter after flute section. But isnt possible to define yet.
2019-12-15_17h11_19_cbpiv0.jpg

NX 11.0.2.7

thanks, looks good. how would you define the tool above in the previous versions? or the next tool, where are two different cones?
ballmill_fabmh0.png

it could be and endmill, or a bullnose endmill too.
not to tease, but interest me

@wiggum
In old versions some users have defined a neck by using holder definition but this is not a good solution. I think we have to wait for it to be enabled in 1899.

NX 12.0.2
Testing 1899
EVP's

You can define a Shank in NX currently, at least since NX11.
You can define the cutting part as the tool, add a shank and then add holder segments. The Shank can be smaller than the cutter

NX-TOOL_smcxnm.jpg

John Joyce
Manufacturing Engineer

NX 11 & 12.01 Vericut 8.0.3

If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses

- Henry Ford

see. it is acceptable when milling low parts in 3 axis, but what if I wanted to store my tools in the database with assigned holders. What if I would like to replace actual holders occasionally?

In powermill, I could define all these tools, shank can be made of any number of cylinders and cones.
Similarly in hypermill, but its database can store extensions,
A complete tool is made up of several elements:
-tool (free shank definition)
(real and approximate profile, see high feed tools)
-extension
-holder
-spindle profile for the machine collision avoidance

thanks guys, I am sad.

@wiggum
I totally agree and basic tool definition is long overdue. I thought Siemens would have implemented reduced shank definition for simple, commonly used tools before implementing it on others. At least it is starting to roll out in 1899. As dzupfrg pointed out the dialog is showing the definition albeit the parameter fields are not live as of yet. Hopefully they will be enabled in the next monthly update or perhaps there is an env variable to turn it on.

NX 12.0.2
Testing 1899
EVP's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back