Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EnerCalc Load Combination

Status
Not open for further replies.

IlliniEI

Structural
Oct 15, 2020
US
I'm running a calculation in Enercalc with ASCE 7-16 as my reference code, and it's showing the controlling load combination to be 1.20D+L+0.20S+E+1.90H. This is an underground structure so the 1.90H is killing me. I can't find this load combination in ASCE, IBC, ACI, or AISC. Does anyone know where this is coming from? I'm inclined to throw it out, but wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything first. It is a composite steel/concrete deck resting on a steel beam.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not sure about 1.9, I have normally seen 1.6H per section 2.3 of ASCE7, also the EC load combinations on my side has 1.6H. Have you tried emailing EnerCalc? They are normally fast to respond. It is possible to change the default load combinations, maybe someone previously changed them?

i have found the 1.9H in some load combinations with enercalc and believe it to be an error. you can change the default load combinations so it doesnt keep popping up on new projects. i second emailing enercalc to be thorough and bring the issue to their attention

Aesur said:
I'm not sure about 1.9, I have normally seen 1.6H per section 2.3 of ASCE7, also the EC load combinations on my side has 1.6H. Have you tried emailing EnerCalc? They are normally fast to respond. It is possible to change the default load combinations, maybe someone previously changed them?

I also have only ever known 1.6. I'll reach out to them.

bobbyboucher said:
i have found the 1.9H in some load combinations with enercalc and believe it to be an error. you can change the default load combinations so it doesnt keep popping up on new projects. i second emailing enercalc to be thorough and bring the issue to their attention

I agree. I appreciate the sanity check!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back