Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EnerCalc 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

a7x1984

Structural
Aug 2, 2011
US
We are thinking of purchasing Enercalc as it seems to have quite the list of modules for the wide variety of projects we work on. Any opinions?

"Structural engineering is the art of modelling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot..."...ah...screw it, we don't know what the heck we are doing.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Focuseng, Thanks so much for a balanced review.

"Structural engineering is the art of modelling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot..."...ah...screw it, we don't know what the heck we are doing.

I use Enercalc fairly often and am generally pleased with it for basic calculations. Anything too complex and I move onto RISA or spreadsheets set up for those purposes, but it's great for sizing beams, columns, footings for basic gravity loading.

Most common use for me is residential wood framed construction. Enercalc for other gravity elements beyond I-joists and I am well on my way. Easy to enter loading information and quickly change from a wood option to a steel option if I can't get something to work within the job's limitations. It also allows me to copy a calculation within a project, keeping all my loading consistent and just tweaking some dimensions for different conditions.

The one limitation that kicks me over to RISA fairly often is the lack of an option to put a moment about the longitudinal axis of a beam.

I pretty much agree with everything focuseng has said. I am also a young engineer so it is nice to see the method the program used.

I will add that if you have 'niche' type projects where the calcs are relatively the same and don't have mathcad there is a larger benefit to TEDDS as you can customize your calcs and reuse.
For speed and module use only then enercalc wins.

EIT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back