Energy Modeling for LEED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peon81

Mechanical
Oct 11, 2007
US
Hello,

I am a mechanical engineer at a small firm that is working on a LEED project, and I have been assigned the task of doing the energy modeling.

Can someone recommend some software to me? I doubt we'll be doing a lot of LEED projects and I really just want something that is easy to use because I will have to learn it on my own.

What do you guys use and recommend?

I did search, but I could not find anything on ease of use.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The department of energy puts out a program that is a free download. It used to be called DOE2 but it may have been renamed to Visual DOE (I'm not sure what the newest version is called). A slightly more simplified version of the DOE2 program is called Equest, which is also free and is probably perfect for your application. Do a GOOGLE search for those two programs or go the the Dept. of Energy website.

That should get you going in the right direction.

We use Trace, but we do a lot of modeling and LEED, so it is worth the $ to us for the customer support.

That being said, it seems everyone uses Equest and it is free.

Thanks for the help guys.

I had not heard of Visual DOE, but it costs money and does not seem to have a trial version so I think I will pass on that.

I currently have eQUEST, and trial versions of Carrier's HAP and Trane's Trace, so I think I'll play around with those and see what I come up with.

Thanks again!

Trane has a 2-day training seminar every two months in Lacrosse, WI for their Trace and LEED/ASHRAE 90.1 tutorial.
The next one is this coming week.

It is worth the money for somneone not well versed into energy modeling. Bu I suggest that you take a normal Trace Tutorial before you jump into the advanced portion.

The company I work for was under the impression (rightly or wrongly) the energy model software needed to be DOE based for LEED. I have used Visual DOE but would not recommend it. No tech support or classes, your on your own to figure it out. I also found the version I used to be unstable (lots of errors). I downloaded the free eQuest program and impressed so far and will probably use it on future projects.

My two cents, would be to use Trane or Carrier energy model programs for the LEED model as most engineers are more familiar with these programs. So far LEED appears to be a “rubber stamp” process. Even a recent article in ASHRAE states current energy models are guessimates at best.

I think you want to use EQUEST. It is free, and it accpted by LEED for all categories of commercial/industrial, is NIST certified, and is endorsed by DOE (I used to be a BLAST user, but now use a different software that is even easier. Google Draw-Up is the last thing I've heard official DOE endorsement for as being easier, but support is more difficult.
EQUEST is based on BLAST/DOE-2 algorhythms, and has multiple interfaces available. BLAST sucked, DOE-2 sits in my drawer.
HAP and TRACE are more suited to specific devices (chiller, AHU) as opposed to including envelope calculations and selecting alternatives. If you are looking at sizing a chiller or AHU with constant envelope or internal load, use HAP or TRACE. If you are looking at whole building, use EQUEST. Go to the DOE or Whole Building Design Guide (WBDG.ORG) for a free download, front ends, and user group). You might find it under the PECI site (may need to yahoo) with tutorial.
Being an ME, I was used to BLAST, HAP or TRACE. If you are looking for LEED goo, then EQUEST is a good fit.

The Carrier just released a newer version of the HAP software that is geared toward LEED analysis and reporting. TRANE Trace also has that functionality and is more robust. For a small firm, the HAP software is more-reasonably priced and should serve your purpose.

HTH,
Brad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back