Engine - Air filter design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vishal2015

Mechanical
Jul 16, 2015
IN
Hello Everyone,

Please help me with the calculation required to find out the area of air filter element/paper.(Gasoline engine - air filter.)

Any standard design document or guidelines for IC engine air filter design will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Vishal

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

And what application, and in what operating environment, and what are the expected or reasonable service intervals.

I would think that the suppliers of the filter media would have guidelines for the filtration velocity, which are likely dependent on all of the above. Have you contacted who you are proposing to buy the filter media from? That's the first phone call to make.

Now take your flow rate in CFM and divide by the linear velocity and you will get your area.

I'm assuming that you're designing something and are not simply needing to replace an existing one. As the poster above implied, the auto parts store will happily look up the correct air filter for your vehicle for you to purchase.

Yes.
I am designing air-intake system for a completely new vehicle.
I want some help on design calculation for number of pleats, area of filter element/paper, restriction etc.
Thank you for your replies.
More help on design calculation will be appreciated.

Who are you buying the filter media from?

What do they recommend for the filtration velocity?

Altrnative ... Go to the auto parts store and buy an air filter for a vehicle with a similar engine, preferably from the same manufacturer so that they don't have to create a new part number. Use that.

Sizing is trivial. Make sure you design something that is easily replaceable by the owner. Take a look at the Nissan 350Z air filter. Two clips readily accessible and visible from the top , slide a piece of plastic back and the filter lifts straight out. 5 minute job including the time to walk into the auto parts store and buy the filter.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

Talk to Donaldson about their Powercore filters. They are the OEM for many engine manufacturers and the Powercore elements are the state of the art. This is important if you are running an intercooled turbo diesel engine with positive crankcase ventilation. Any dirt that gets by the air filter mixes with oil from the crankcase vapors and can clog your intercooler.

I think you will find its like everything in design work. Calculations are essentially guesses in some instances, the real proof is how it runs and what restriction or not it causes. An easy starting point is find a similar cu in engine and start with what that manufacture uses. Save time and headaches. Keep it simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back