Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Engine Exhaust Piping 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquatica

Marine/Ocean
Jun 9, 2006
FI
Does any one knows the material for marine diesel engine exhaust gas piping?, i am taking about large slow speed 2-stroke and medium speed 4-stroke engines mainly. I am working on corrosion in engine exhaust gas piping.

Anyone has decent pictures of exhaust gas piping please? of installations i mean inside and outside. Ships pictures would be appreciated much. cheers!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Inconel is not steel. It's a family of nickel alloys that contain little iron. All are hideously expensive, and very difficult to work. Only governments can afford to use Inconel for Diesel exhausts, in which application they last for decades. The few marine gas turbine exhausts made of Inconel that I've seen didn't last decades.

Special Metals also makes Incoloy, a family of alloys comprisinng 30..40 pct nickel and 20..40 pct iron, which are slightly more workable and slightly more affordable than Inconel, but still probably uneconomical for large engine exhausts.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

I've had relatively good success with Corten steel in Tanker applications.
As it is a more expensive material, good cost benefit is achieved by limiting its use to the area of highest corrosion, the 2-3 meters of exhaust piping above the funnel, that is constantly exposed to weather.
This is also typically a more "expensive" area to do repairs due to elevation and the requirement or large crane support and scaffolding, so you will want to maximize time between repairs.
Whereas mild steel piping wold be severely corroded in 3-5 years, Corten double/triple the interval. If your working on a newbuilding spec, try to get it included initially, and it will save your company tens of thousands down the road.
Rgds,
RKK
Rgds,

Thanks for the reply MASE81. Can you say a bit more about it. I would appreciate if you can share some study or report.

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back