Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Engine Room Crane Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosspetrie

Marine/Ocean
Apr 29, 2009
GB
Hi there, i hope you can help with this.
I am to design an engine room crane for a new vessel, i am nearly complete with all the project, besides the actual design, ie dimensions etc.
I have the main dimensions for the engine, weights etc.
How do i go about actually sizing the crane. Length and width etc, is there a certain amount of space i should have either side of the engine, width of beams too.
Sorry if it seems a lot to throw on at once, any help would be great. I have attached a file to give you an idea of the problem hopefully.
Kindest Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You seem to have drawn a coverage plan for a gantry crane.
Judging from the size of the hatch, I'd guess that's a big engine, so even the small pieces will be heavy.

This is the point where you call a crane manufacturer, or engage an engineer who has done this before.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

When you design this for space requirements, you need to think like the mechanic/technicians that will do the work on the engine.

You will not only need to know the maximum weights of the parts that will need to be lifted. You will need to know the max heights of the parts and the heights they need to be hoisted to be removed, and then for and aft space to put the parts that are to be removed. What is as important as the crane manufacture is the engine maker/builder you need them to specify the required dimensions and weights.
If this is a large engine it may require the crankcase to be lifted to remove the crankshaft, and once lifted it has to be put someplace so you can get to the crankshaft. Also when removing the pistons and connecting rod assemblies how high will they need to be lifted to remove them?
And like I said it is very important to figure out where all the removed parts are going to be stored while the repairs are being done. And they will have to be craned there if this is a large engine. You really need some good specs on the engine and space available in the room.

Okay, if you're determined to do it yourself..

Once you have a map of where the hook has to go, you pick out a hoist. Order it soon; delivery takes a while. Two cranes sharing a runway might make sense for a large engine.

Note that the hoist extends considerably beyond the hook in all directions, as must the crane girder(s) and the runway. Allow space for travel stops, and you probably need some mechanism for latching the crab and the girders in place so they don't move in a seaway.

You might consider ordering a 'kit' from a crane manufacturer, where they supply the fiddly bits and you buy the steel and rail locally. There are a lot of fiddly bits and oddities specific to cranes that you might not think of on your first attempt.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Hi there,

It's quite interesting of what you have to do here... The main concerned here is how to handle the engine head parts, i.e: piston & crankshaft. There certain requirements to lift up the parts as certain engine has it own degree of installation. So, make sure the piston can be lift up without demaging the cylinder liners.

Normally crane manufacture have their own std. Just let them know how big are your space & others major keys. They sure will help you then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back