Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Engine simulator 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregLocock

Automotive
Apr 10, 2001
Orbiting a small yellow star
Lotus Engineering's Engine simulator is a time history based one, that is, it uses a one dmensional wave approach ( I think). The demo version is single cylinder only, but that will kill your cpu for days at a time if you build complex intakes and exhausts. Literally - 4 days on my Athlon 1700 to run 7 speeds.

Rather nicely it predicts sfc as well.

I haven't dug into the theory behind how it works, so far, but it is worth a look.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Single cylinder and limited to 3 sensors simulation is freeware. It doesn't need a license.
Thank you Greg for the link!

It asked me for a licence number.
It won't work. I must have down loaded the wrong one then.

Does anyone have any intake/exhaust noise predictions from this particular simulation package? If so, any good?

I just though that since it is a direct WAVE/GT/BOOST competitor, it may also predict orifice noise like they do. Noise prediction from 1D codes is big business.

- Steve

I was wondering about that as well. You could probably put a pressure sensor in the tailpipe, thinking about it. That would work well enough.

I haven't tried it, though.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Greg,

The usual method is to treat the orifice as a monopole source, using the instantaneous predicted velocity to derive volume flow rate. Then use a linear radiation model to radiate to the far field. 1D codes are usually pretty good at predicting orifice velocity.

(I noticed NVH was one of your fields, so the above should make sense).

- Steve

I am playing with this software and it can someway compute the SPL in intake and/or exhaust

Ale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back