Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Engine software

Status
Not open for further replies.

otx12

Automotive
Dec 8, 2002
CA
Can I get some recommendations on software to simulate internal combustion engines and what are the pros and cons of this software? What are some of the experiences with the software? What kind of capabilities dose it have and what are some of the limitation.

Regards, Matt

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A ways back, Greg Locock put us onto the Lotus software. There is a free version for download with only a few restrictions, mostly that it is only good for one cylinder. I have been using it and multiplying the results. I doubt that this is technically correct but in my case it appears close enough. It would be interesting to hear from some others.

otx12,

What particular characteristic of the IC engine are you interested in modelling? For mechanics and dynamics there is ADAMS. For CFD there is FLUENT. For FEM there is NASTRAN. Or for combustion there is KIVA.

As for limitations: none of them are cheap or easy to use. And their results are only as good as your inputs (GIGO).

I’m looking at getting software that will be able to give me a baseline and allow doing iterations of multiple design changes without getting into finite element methods. (that will come later)
The lotus software sounds pretty good. The only problem is that I will also need to model pressure wave dynamics in the intake and exhaust. Is there an all-in-one program that will be able to do this?

Regards,
Matt

I've been involved in many projects involving 1D engine unsteady gas dynamics - ie wave tuning - from development of code to using the top packages out there:

Optimum Power's Virtual Engines
Gamma's GT Power
Ricardo's Wave
Lotus'

These packages are all relatively expensive so you need to explain your resources further.

University students involved in FSAE/Formula Student single seat racing projects can get most of these softwares free.

Each of the programs described above have their own pros and cons. Some have more functionality than others, but are inherently more difficult to use successfully!

I predominantly use Virtual Engines and have had success doing so from all perspectives. I do not work for Optimum Power, but seem to get red flagged everytime I mention using this software!

Marquis gave a very detailed response on this subject before, so maybe he can comment again - maybe he has had further exposure to all/any of these software packages. I cannot locate this previous thread.

Could anyone give me the addresse on these softwears?

I have tryed the search and on google,but can´t seem to find anything

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back