Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Engine that operates on waste heat or low quality fuels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Is anyone familiar with the STM Power technology? This technology appears to be capable of operating on essentially any heat source (i.e., waste heat from incinerators, thermal oxidizers, pyrolysis, or low Btu fuels like landfill/coal bed methane). The company's web site is and it appears to be a technology that could be applied to multiple applications.

We have a prototype V.high temp incinerator in operation and we are aware of this technology and we are in discussion with this company. regretably there are no units operating outside of the USA ( we are based in UK ) also the technology is very new. Certainly seems an idea worth considering, but what of the cost? The company may have a facility in the UK by the end of the year, I think.
Then we can really analyse the advantages against the cost

Further to my previous answer. This is actually old technology, its been brought up to date by STM,
It was developed many years ago and was known as the STIRLING EXTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE look it up in your reference books or library, it makes fascinating reading. Certainly seems like a fantastic idea.

Yes, agree with Elvey's comments. The 'Stirling Machine' cycle as an external combustion engine has been around for a long time and many attempts have been made at utilising it. The theory is well worth the read, and if you do a search on any of the main search engines you will find that many pilot plants (and working plants) have been tried for a range of applications (there are also some fun little models available based on the Stirling pricipal whch are a great party trick or presentation for students). There are also a number of companies offering products for power generation. The cycle is catching on more and more with the drive towards promoting cogeneration and waste heat recovery, especially at smaller capacities. So far, there have been a number of practical difficulties limiting commercial success, but it looks like it is a just a matter of time and economies of scale.
For a nice little description of the Stirling Engine (though aimed more at cars), principal and its applications, try: The howstuffworks site is always a nice and easy place to find out about things. Also, is a good starting point. Lastly, this company also offers power generation at a small 200kw range from a number of waste heat sources Andrew
(ps; Elvey, i am interested in what you are doing with this H temp incinerator, i am also involved in pilot applications (extensions of waste to energy concept) for small scale waste (incineration) thermal treatment plants).

Message for Impdrew ( Andrew ) re H. Temp incinerators, for further info contact me at paul.elvey@pyromex.com
Paul Elvey

Ydnar1967, If I remember my Thermo correctly from my college days, the Stirling cycle is old tech. The reason why it was never developed commercially was due to the lower efficiencies of the cycle than could be acheived by other types of cycles. Now if you have a low energy waste heat source that is not being utilized or put to work, and simply being dumped, this type of cycle may have some application and the issue is application.

What are we going to do, run jack shafts, pulleys, and belts down through the plants again, to provide the necessary mechanical power to equipment? Steam and turbines or Electricity and motors are much more efficient and cheaper.

saxon ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back