Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Engineer working as an Engineering Technician 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Itsdc01

Mechanical
Jan 11, 2007
US
Hey, is it career suicide for a person with an engineering degree looking for entry level work to take an engineering technician position just to get some experience?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I did that. There is nothing wrong with that. Just make sure you keep looking for another job. Dont do it too long. My 1st job was a engineering technician job (w/ technician pay). My 2nd was "engineering job" but really I really felt like a technician, but I did get paid like an engineer. Try to avoid jobs like my 1st one. It was brutal.

IMO, you will be a better engineer if understand the "hands-on" area of feild, before you become an engineer. I started as engineering technician, then drafting, and worked with machinery repair.

Chris
SolidWorks 06 5.1/PDMWorks 06
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 10-27-06)

Thanks...getting pigeonholed is what Im afraid of, although there does seem to be valuable experience to be had. I have a friend who has a contract engineering job that is more like technician work. It seems like its all in the title. Is there any other options for entry level engineering work?

Is there a rotaion program in your company where you can ride with a tech for three or more months to learn the hardware and the techies method behind there madness on how to solve problems...or you can ask to just ride with the tech to learn more about the product.

my two cents

Tobalcane
"If you avoid failure, you also avoid success."

A few years ago I would have said its a great idea. Now, however, I think you may be doing more harm to you career than good.

Example: One of my clients is in deep trouble from decades of "technician to engineer" culture. The technicians who became engineers held onto the habits that where developed while a tech. A couple of decades later, they are still unable to apply complex engineering principles because they continure to look for the quick fix. Of course now, their company is dishing out millions for the sevices of an engineering firm to fix decades of poor engineering, meahwhile the engineers (who started as techs) are on the backside of a bad career and looking for work elsewhere while nearing retirement. Its sad really.

The thing is...your first job within your career will mold the way you approach solutions for years to come. Being a tech and being an engineer are completely different carreer paths.

I suggest looking for an entry level engineering position and getting your P.E. as soon as possible (rather than working as a tech). You can pick up the practical stuff along the way by working closely with the techs in the field. It doesn't mean you actually have to be a tech to have the practical knowledge.

Also, some of my college buddies who chose the tech path have been stuck and continue to be stuck 5 years later. Companies want to hire young engineering grads so that they can mold them into good young engineers. Profitable companies do not like invest in old techs in attempt to mold them into young engineers. Its like teaching an old dog new tricks.

I have been a tech for 20 years (geotech, CMT, construction inspection) and I have to say that Senselessticker is right on. It has been my experience that engineering grads that start off doing tech work easily get "stuck" doing tech work for years. A couple of ride-alongs to observe the business are one thing; being issued a slump cone and sent to cover a concrete pour is another. Reasons: 1) If they know you are willing to do grunt work then grunt work it shall be. 2) Engineering grads that gravitate to tech work can not, generally speaking, cut it as actual engineers and true or not this is the message you will be sending to your peers.

Plus, generally speaking, you college boys are far too soft for field work, dealing directly with hard-nosed superintendents and subs, etc. It'll probably be best if you stick to the seat shining, paper shuffling, and pencil sharpening, and let the techs do the real work.

LOL, too soft for field work, eh? one of my first jobs was a structural inspector for a 27 story building. 25 years old, and green as hell. that alone taught me as much about engineering as any project or homework assignment i've had at my office or in school. plus, i learned how to deal with contractors and form relations. i had no problem dealing with a mean ass shell contractor who had at best a 4th grade education.

these college kids need the field experience, because they're the one's who are eventually going to be overseeing what the techs do. but not for too long, because i know i didn't get my degrees to be an inspector my entire life.

I hated working as a technician. I had to send a truck load full of concrete home because it didnt meet the air content. The superintendant got really pissed because it is only concrete for a sidewalk. He said "If it breaks, nobody is going to die!!". I agree with him 100% but then again why would the client hire an inspector to check the concrete of a sidewalk if I dont do my job.

Thank god I am doing design work now. I dont want to be in the field anymore. I've had a crane tipped over close by me. I saw a guy next to me got ran over by a truck (thank God he is alive and able to walk. It was at least 8 ton over his legs. I've seen enough for not wanting to work in hazardous working site anymore. I valued my experience. If you cant find anything else, then go for it. Keep looking while you are working though.

Your CV will look better if you the work you do to pay the bills while you're looking for a proper job is relevant to the proper job you hope to get. As long as you and your prospective employers understand that the tech job was for paying the bills rather than because that's the only job you were good enough to get at the time, there is no reason why it should hold you back.

Wow COEngr, That gives new meaning to "if it does not kill you, it will make you stronger".

I agree with Senselessticker (star for you). Engineers and Techs have two diff skill sets. Techs are out there solving problems on the fly while Engineers are eliminating problems at the design stage using there knowledge from college. But, both have to work together to get a good product out the door. Also, whatever the Engr design it will be the Tech's problem down the line, manufacturing and in the field.

As for the OP, if you had a choice btw Tech or Engr job take the Engr job. You will eventually learn the hardware in time, plus trust me; the Techs will tell you what’s wrong and how to fix it.

Tobalcane
"If you avoid failure, you also avoid success."

I began working in the field when I first started. It was definately good experience, but I agree that you shouldn't be slumping concrete and testin' density for too long. It can be, as others have said, a challenge to win back your position, with your boss and peers, as an engineer rather than a field tech.

During my field time, I had to tell many a contractor that they were not getting density, or the concrete was out of spec, etc. Interestingly, I found that it was frightening to confront the contractor at first, but it eventually got much easier with time. There have been a few times, under certain conditions and with certain contractors, that it was actually enjoyable...

If you are at a crossroads, why not consider working for a general contractor for a while? That way when you do interview with a design company you can say "I wanted to see the construction end of the business before I entered in to the front end of the business". This may appeal to hiring managers more than "I took the tech job because I needed work." I worked as a laborer, carpenters' helper, estimator, etc. in commercial construction and residential for a few years and you get real perspective when you are on the business end of a sledge hammer or a wheel barrow sloshing full of concrete in the rain and mud. Later, as you sit at your desk, contemplating the details you can reflect back on those days and approach a problem more realistically.

Hi Itsdc01,

Question:

Do you want to work as a technician, or is this something you are looking into because you have run into some difficulty finding an engineering job?

Good luck,

Joseph

I would rather not work as a technician. I am leaning towards just finding any decent paying hourly job and going back to school next fall. I have had trouble finding a job, and honestly, I havent really come across a job I would really want to do. Seems like most of the engineering in the KC area is power plants, hvac, and construction related.

There are, IMO, only positives concerning working as an engineering technician or similar while in school (undergrad). Firstly, you're making decent money while your primary "job" is being a student. Secondly, after you graduate, you've already got some experience.

Though once you've got that engineering degree, it's your move.

That's pretty close to what I did.

I couldn't get work as an aircraft engineer so I wound up working as an aircraft mechanic for a while. During that period, I also went to school in the evenings to get my Master's degree.

Earlier comments in this thread said that your first job may tend to "pigeon hole" you as a far as future career development is concerned. That's probably true in my case. I've mostly worked in certifications, modifications, alterations, and repair. In fact, I've been a DER for the past several years.

Another post talked about tech-to-engineers that are, "still unable to apply complex engineering principles because they continure to look for the quick fix". I would say that, in my case, nothing could be further from the truth. I have an extensive background in classical analysis methods and can make accurate accessments by hand that most "cube-jockeys" would require an FEA package to evaluate, and I'm reasonably adept at Patran/Nastran for
those times when I do need it.

I guess what I'm saying is, as long as you continue to educate yourself, the "hands-on" experience you obtain as a tech could even become an asset.

--
Great Spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
-- Albert Einstein

I think that you have to differentiate between doing tech work as an engineer in training and doing it as a tech.

For the EIT it is a necessary step in professional development to be able to do this work so that you can recognize good tech work and fully understand the limitations and risks inherent in the data as well as to manage the work of techs later in your career.

To take a tech position for longer than you would do tech work as an EIT (6 to 12 months) would be career suicide. You would be branded as someone who could not cut it as an engineer and then even if you got an engineering position in a couple of years you would be regulated to the lower level technical areas and have to prove yourself over and over again.

Rick Kitson MBA P.Eng

Construction Project Management
From conception to completion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back