Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Engineered Trusses - Documentation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cap07

Structural
Mar 8, 2008
US
Looking for some advice on obtaining documentation for engineered trusses. I was contracted to draw up plans for a residence that was built over ten years ago. Part of the residence was constructed beyond what was originally permitted and the client needs to get things up-to-date with the permitting jurisdiction. The original plans did not include engineered trusses, however the builder used trusses for the roof construction. The jurisdiction is requiring documentation for the trusses which the current owner does not have. The building official said there should be a manufacturer's tag on the truss - where would that typically be located? Also, how long do manufacturers keep records?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The tag usually attached near the end of the truss on the least likely be disturbed member. But don't put too much hope on it is still there after the construction. Can you re-engineering the truss?

Most of the tags I've seen are on the bottom chord near mid-span, but I'm sure it varies some between manufacturers. They may have gotten in the sheet rock sub's way and they ripped them all off. Or they may be between the sheet rock and the bottom chord. Or they may be buried under the insulation somewhere.

Do you know the name of the builder? They may be able to tell you where they were buying trusses from 10 years ago.

Not sure about data retention - I imagine it varies. It's often based on the statutes of limitations and repose for breach of contract or tort liability. 10 years is a long time, though.

Thanks for the responses. The builder (who was also the previous home owner) has passed away. His son worked with him, but he does not recall anything about the trusses.

How many truss manufacturers are there in your area (that were operating 10 years ago)? You may just have to call around, give them the address, and see if it's in their files. These don't usually ship from too far away as the freight will start eating into their economy - I'd say 150 miles would be pushing it unless you really live in the middle of nowhere.

As far as maintaining files. I would say pre 2005 might be tough for them to still have. But after that, pdfs took over and most places keep them for a while. I wouldn't be surprised if they have them still, if you can find out who manufactured it.

I think you're right - it looks like am going to have to start making some calls. Hopefully I can track down the manufacturer and they still have the records [smile]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back