Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Engineering and Maintenance Trends, know any?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would say it is rather difficult to do. Are you supposed to or planning to look locally, regionally, nationally or world wide? The viewpoint on possible industry trends would vary widely by perspective. You might be able to find some information at national statistics sites, or labor sites.

Regards

There are some major over arching themes off the top of my head...

Off shoring, (moving work to low cost countries like India)

Automation and advanced control (making processes automatic and removing the human element).

Globalization and networking (virtual teams working together via the internet).

-The future's so bright I gotta wear shades!
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

Going green is the "chicest" of all trends nowadays. Albeit, it's a trend that makes sense.

AND... every dog and cat will have its own web site.

From paging through a couple of maintenance magazines I would say a big trend in maintenance would be preventative maintenance and the use of tools like ultrasound and infrared technology to identify maintenance issues before the equipment actually breaks down. As far as engineering trends, I would say Six Sigma or other forms of Statistical Process Control and lean manufacturing are still "big things" industry-wide even if they are old hat for some companies.

In order to effectively answer questions like there, be sure to wave your hands in the air. Flip charts used to be the standard prop, now it takes PowerPoint slides.

pwtomlin.
I have heard that the US Air Force uses a technique called Non-destructive Investigation (NDI).
All parts of an engine are made of slightly different percentage in material content. They take an oil sample of each take-off and landing and analyse the parts at landing by dipping the engine parts in a solution and analyse the oil after landing to see the which material has the largest content in the oil. That way, they can tell which part is wearing out faster than the other.

Is that in line with you are talking about?

Hi Sultan

Here are a few mechanical maintenance trends I have seen a lot lately

Reactive mtce
Preventive mtce (PM)
Predictive mtce (PdM)
- Vibration Analysis
- Oil and Wear Debris Analysis
- Infra Red
- Ultra sound
Proactive mtce
And their relationships between each other and with Reliability

Reliability
RCM
CMMS & EAMS (espicially since you deal with computer stuff)

Other industry trends
-Lean manufacturing
-Six sigma

atlas06,

I haven't heard of that particular example, but I wanted to say, as a materials person, the phrase non-destructive investigation (or testing or inspection) doesn't bring to mind a particular process but rather a range of methods of testing for failure that don't ruin the part in the process. Ultrasound, x-ray, and dye penetrant inspection are all examples of techniques that would fall under a broad heading of NDT. Not trying to quibble, just giving you my impression.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back