Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Engineering calculator recommendations 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philrock

Mechanical
Dec 30, 2001
US
My HP11C calculator finally bit the dust, and I'm in the market for a replacement. I bought an HP35s, but I'm not very pleased with it.

I'm looking for suggestions on what to buy.

My 1st calculator was an HP35. I paid $400 for it in the early 1970s. It had all the horsepower I needed, and one of the nice things about it was you only had to hit 1 button for pi. The 11C was also pretty good, but the button feel was not as nice as the 35, and you had to hit 2 buttons for pi.

What I don't like about the 35s:

2 buttons for pi
2 buttons to turn on and clear the first register
3 buttons to clear the stack
awkward keying to recall something from a register

The 35S has way more power than I need. If I need lots of power or programmability I use a laptop or desktop computer.

Ideal calculator:
RPN
engineering math functions: trig, exp, log, etc.
1 button to turn on / off
1 button for pi
1 or 2 buttons to clear the stack
a handy place to store 25.4 (inch/mm conversion) and recall it with 1 or 2 buttons
$160 or less

I have looked at other threads on this subject on this web site, but not seen any threads that address all my concerns.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You're NOT seriously considering spending good money for a dedicated handheld calculator are you? Why, prey tell? If you've got a smart phone or tablet there are several very good calculator apps out there, most of them include full scientific capabilities.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

IF you are going to spend that much money, you could just buy another 11C; done and done.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!

Philrock,

HP released a new HP 15C (limited edition) calculator a couple years ago. It may be possible to pick up one of those. Additionally, there is an open source project to convert an HP 30B business calculator to a scientific calculator. That project is called WP 34S.

I use an HP 41C, myself. I have found them readily available on auction sites.

Personally I like the cheap & cheerful Casio calculators. My first was an FX-570C, after that I've had a variety of types; my current one is a 15-year-old FX991W. None of them are RPN types - I can use them, I just find them less intuitive.

I use the calculator apps if I have no alternative, but not from choice.

Casio fx180p has PI on a single button.
But 1/x, x^2 and sqrt(x) are all two-button jobs.
And of course it's not RPN.
on/off is mechanical, but seldom needed as the auto-shutdown is well timed. So it's really single-key on.

First set of batteries lasted 30 years, so that's in its favour.

- Steve

I like my TI 89 Titanium, and I still have the TI Emulator and ROM dump on my computer screen so that *THAT* is the calculator pop-up that I use on the PC. TICalc.org now offers the emulator (TI-EMU) as standalone without the requirement for the ROM dump. So far, though, I haven't found the iPhone or iPad app for this particular calculator.

JohnRBaker is correct, though. There are a number of iPhone replica apps available. On my devices, I have installed TI-59, HP-i41CX+, HP-i48GX (that one is free), PocketCAS, and a few others. I know you can get the HP-11C app for $2.99, the HP-15E app for $5.99, the i41-CX app for $7.99, and many others in that price range based on this morning's visit to the app store. I also very highly recommend an app called MathStudio.

It's hard to find a really good scientific or graphing calculator on the typical retail shelves these days that come anywhere close to the HP-4(x) or TI-8(x) series of models.

Actually the only calculator I have on my iPhone is the one that it came with, but even then it's pretty handy. When held in 'portrait' orientation, it's s simple 4-function calculator. However, if you rotate it to the 'landscape' orientation, it becomes a full-blown scientific caculator. Besides, you can't beat the price (it's included from Apple).

As for "replica apps", the only one that fits that description as well as this topic on my iPhone is 'SlipStick', a virtual slide rule which emulates a Picket Log-Log rule not all that different than the one I bought back in high school, some 50 years ago.

As for my iPad, in addition to the free Apple calculator, I have something called 'PCalc Lite' which is a full-blown scientific calculator that also includes a library of mathematical and astronomical constants (including the answer to the 'Ultimate Question') and conversion utilities covering Lengths, Speeds, Volumes and Weights (note that additional packages of 'Constants' and 'Conversions' as well as other options can be purchased from the App Store).

As for actual handheld calculators, I've got a few old ones in storage box somewhere, including what was a rather expensive TI scientific calculator we bought one of our son's when they were in high school (they're both in their 40's now) but I haven't used it in years (the batteries have probably ruptured and leaked all over the innards by now).

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Philroc,
May I ask you (as innocently as possible) why you still want the RPN entry form? My scientific calculator can nest more levels of parentheses that I can keep track of. As far as I know, that's the main advantage. Other HP users I've known, who tried to demonstrate the superiority of their devices, would invariably get tripped in the mental exercise of data entry just as often as I would with all the extra button-pushing I have to do. With pocket-sized sci calculators that can display the entire input formula and allow editing before calculating the result, I can't see why anyone would insist on (or pay more for) a calculator that lacks these features.

Anyone who wants a "replica" app for their smartphone should check the app very carefully. I found one for my Casio and I thought it was neat, until I tried a trig calc and nothing happened. Back at the app store I then discovered that "not all functions have been programmed at this time". [sad]

Currently using PowerCalc on my Android. It's OK.

STF

You're NOT seriously considering spending good money for a dedicated handheld calculator are you? Why, prey tell? If you've got a smartphone or tablet there are several very good calculator apps out there, most of them include full scientific capabilities.
My thoughts exactly.
For Android, there is Free42 (HP42 emulator)

... and even better Droid48 (HP48GX emulator)

both free. I'm pretty sure iPhone has free HP48 emulator.

There's a lot to like about HP48 emulators (like Droid48) imo.
You mentioned registers... I remember in the old HP calculators you stored your variables in numbered registers... but in HP48 you give your variable descriptive names (like VOLUME, AREA, HEIGHT, DENSITY, MM2INCH). And you store them in a nested directory structure.

=====================================
(2B)+(2B)' ?

Philrock ( said:
Ideal calculator:
RPN
engineering math functions: trig, exp, log, etc.
1 button to turn on / off
1 button for pi
1 or 2 buttons to clear the stack
a handy place to store 25.4 (inch/mm conversion) and recall it with 1 or 2 buttons
$160 or less
Whoops, I got so excited about the chance to talk about HP48 that I didn't read your post closely. HP48 is overkill for your request. Free42 might be closer. Sorry.

=====================================
(2B)+(2B)' ?

I picked up one of the HP15c Limited Editions wen they came out. They are no longer produced, it was a legit "limited edition", and are going for far above the original MSRP.

I also have an RPM app on my android, but I prefer the standalone calculator. to use the phone, I have to turn it on, unlock it, find the app, and then calculate. Wait too long, it locks, and I have to again turn it on, and unlock it.

Nice thing about an RPN calculator, is no one borrows it, because younger engineers/designers have no idea how to use it :)

-Dave

NX 7.5

Guys, thanks very much for all your responses. I must say - it's been an eye-opener.

John Baker and electricpete, for some of the reasons I don't want to use my smart phone as a calculator, see Gunman's response below. Additionally, my phone has a rounded back, so using it as a calculator becomes a two-handed operation.

SparWeb, I appreciate your tact in questioning my preference for RPN. It's just that - a preference. My first calculator was RPN, I got used to it, and I like it. While we are still a minority, there are certainly many staunch RPNers. I have a hunch that RPN might save a few button presses compared to parentheses. Certainly, dropping the RPN requirement would greatly open up the possibilities.

HP15C would be a great option, but as Gunman points out, the price point has gone out the roof.

I will look at the other calculators mentioned. At this point I'd say there's a pretty good chance I'll just stick with the 35s.

Maybe, just for grins, I'll send my wish list to HP.

Thanks again!!!

I would never use anything but an RPN calculator. I've been using them since 1974 and I'm not about to start typing parentheses now. As far as I'm concerned the HP 15C is the zenith of calculator design. All the newer ones just add unnecessary garbage, try to do too much for a handheld calculator. I have an original HP15C, I also have a great HP15C simulator on my PC's. However, there is also a Swiss outfit that will sell you a brand new slightly shrunk down version called the Swiss Micros DM-15. They'll sell you one for CHF 89.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

The other benefit of a calculator over a 'phone application is that when you leave your calculator on the desk overnight, it stays there. Mine's always to hand because nobody in their right mind would ever want to steal it.

- Steve

I lost my HP calculator (possibly stolen from my desk) about 6 years ago.
I have been using online or iPhone calculators since. Although I do have a cheap Ti in my drawer just in case.

Chris, CSWA
SolidWorks 14
SolidWorks Legion

I bought an old, but little-used HP 15C on ebay a few days ago for $145. I don't have it yet - keeping my fingers crossed that it's in as good shape as the seller claims.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back