Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Engineering calculator recommendations 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philrock

Mechanical
Dec 30, 2001
US
My HP11C calculator finally bit the dust, and I'm in the market for a replacement. I bought an HP35s, but I'm not very pleased with it.

I'm looking for suggestions on what to buy.

My 1st calculator was an HP35. I paid $400 for it in the early 1970s. It had all the horsepower I needed, and one of the nice things about it was you only had to hit 1 button for pi. The 11C was also pretty good, but the button feel was not as nice as the 35, and you had to hit 2 buttons for pi.

What I don't like about the 35s:

2 buttons for pi
2 buttons to turn on and clear the first register
3 buttons to clear the stack
awkward keying to recall something from a register

The 35S has way more power than I need. If I need lots of power or programmability I use a laptop or desktop computer.

Ideal calculator:
RPN
engineering math functions: trig, exp, log, etc.
1 button to turn on / off
1 button for pi
1 or 2 buttons to clear the stack
a handy place to store 25.4 (inch/mm conversion) and recall it with 1 or 2 buttons
$160 or less

I have looked at other threads on this subject on this web site, but not seen any threads that address all my concerns.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You could have bought a brand new Swiss micros for a lot less but I'll admit the buttons leave a lot to be desired, nothing like the feel of the HP. I expect your 15C will last for many years.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back