Engineering Companies and Licenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enginator

Mechanical
Jan 12, 2000
US
Here's an interesting ethics question.

In this example, we have companies A, B, and C.

A = Technical Services company, no license to practice engineering (the state requires it). This company used to have a license, but let it lapse.
B = Engineering company - has a license.
C = Big Client.

A has a contract with C to provide a stamped design.

A's license lapsed so set up a subcontract with B, to do the stamped design for C.

Can B get in ethical trouble for participating in this little mess A got itself into?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not necessarily.

It depends upon the degree of control that the engineer for B has on the project. As long as the design is performed by B and under B's direct control, then the services may be OK from a PE standpoint.

Now many states also have laws on the corporations as well - such as requiring any corporation offering to practice engineering in their state to have a corporate license. Many times this corporate license can only be obtained and maintained if the corporation (A in this case) has PE's on staff.

If A is providing a service, and in a design-build arrangment hires B, I do not see a violation unless A is selling its services to include design.

I see quite a number of mechanical and electrical contractors hired by owners to design (read secure a permit) and install a system and they sub out the design to a third party.

But if A is doing the design in house, selling that service, would not qualify for a COA, and used B to seal the design, then B is aiding and abetting A's violation of state law and the engineer who seals the drawing possibly may be plan stamping.

Don Phillips

"A has a contract with C to provide a stamped design"

So A is offering engineering services. I suspect that in most jurisdictions A would be in violation for offering engineering services without a company license.

A should consider contracting for the RFP. A assists C in developing the RFP, and selecting an engineering firm. A then contracts with B or whoever wins the RFP.

Stevenal makes and excellent point. When I typed that sentence "A has a contract with C to provide a stamped design" should have been an immediate tip off. The state board in this case (as indicated parenthetically in the OP) requires firms offering engineering services to have a designated engineer and a special license to practice. Company A cannot be law have a contract with C to provide a stamped design. As DonPhillips points out, if B participates, then B is aiding and abetting A's violation.

Excellent analysis, y'all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back