Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Engineering constant transformation

Status
Not open for further replies.

dravid

Aerospace
Mar 15, 2003
PK

Hi, i am doing the fem analysis of orthotropic pressure vessel in Ansys. It require to enter the 9 transform engineering constant for unidirectional composite . In most of composite book, they provide the transformtion of FT in XY plane. but what about the transformation normal to XY plane. i mean transforamtion of Et' to Ez, similarly transformation of Vft',Vlt',Gft',Glt', if i rotate the fiber through some angle in XY plane.

Is there any reference, which can provide me the transformation equation of these 9 engineering constant.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think you should be able to find a laminated plate program that will generate those values for you. I would search on the internet and see what comes up.

Unless you have a 3D laminate, ie fibers oriented out of the lamina plane, the Z-dir properties (thu the thickness) do not change with an XY (in plane) rotation corresponding to the orientation of the layer. The Z direction properties are typically taken to be the same as the transverse properties of a single composite layer(Et = Ez). I hope this helps.

You can find a list of numerous composites references at

Thanks SJLeemans, but what about the poison's ratios Vft', Vtt'. Does they required transformation, if the fiber is oriented at some angle in XY plane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back