Engineering Drawings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Potcarb

Chemical
Oct 22, 2020
US
Hello,

Is there a good reference for standard engineering drawings/schematics, or really like a template on how and what order they should be done? For instance, what is all the information that should be included in a P&ID? How do we define pipe specs, and what does that look like? I was told we need to start developing nozzle specs - what even is that?

These are just some questions I have, but I'd really like to know what a complete engineering project's drawing list looks like, what's contained in them, and the order that they should be completed in. If there was a good book with templates in it, that'd be very helpful.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

IMO, the engineering handbooks can be the good starting for references, such as Mechanical/Chemical Engineering Handbooks, Piping Handbook, etc.
Or, by any chance, take a look of the engineering design files and documents, including P&IDs, design calculations and drawings, etc., of the previous projects, which are the free references for you too.

Yeah, ... What the hell is a P&ID anyway ?

"what is all the information that should be included in a P&ID?"

This is not included in the average STEM Engineering curricula !!!

... and pipe specs, too !!!!

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

There is no one answer. Templates and composition/content of an engineering project depend on:
- region/country
- year it has been issued
- stage of project progress
- how the project has been organized (exact roles and battery limits between engineering/procurement/construction/commissioning companies)
- company practices
- industry practices
- local codes&rules

More details = better answer.

I haven't looked but I'm confident you can find lots of explanation/guidance on the internet.

A new process design starts with index flow diagrams, and then progresses to P&IDs which show the details. P&IDs communicate the scope of the process design to the detailed engineers. Basically, everything that the process engineer needs to be purchased and installed (vessels, piping, instruments) needs to appear on the P&IDs. The piping designers work almost exclusively from the P&IDs. So, any specific instructions or details that the process engineer needs to communicate to the pipe designers needs to be put in P&ID notes.

Thank you, Brad ...

...but, "STEAM" is composed mostly of gasses and vapors ..... as I recall

The "A" in STEAM stands for Art, of course ... Art fits in so well with Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics ....

Art was not included in the Acronym just to make it cute ..... No sireee !!!

How , in the past, did we ever build machines, aircraft, computers and civilization without a "STEAM" education ?

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back