Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Engineering Ethics, Regulations and Laws 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

kxa

Structural
Nov 16, 2005
US
Here is a situation that while I would like to help out, I don't think it is the right thing to do. A client that did not ask me to supervise the foundation construction and went ahead and completed the work without the inspection by the town bldg. inspector, can not get his foundation approved. Supposedly, the inspector wants him to take out the foundation or get a letter from an engineer that everything was done according to the code. This client is now asking me to look at his digital photos and produce that letter.

For this situation and perhaps others, is there any reference guides out there that set the legal or ethical limits on what engineers can do or for that matter, should not do?

Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ron,

Good point. I did a little search on the subject matter and came accross the following site:

One of the cases shown is "A Condominium Association could maintain an action against an Architect for negligently misrepresenting that the project met the state's minimum building codes, when it did not. The economic loss rule does not bar negligence claims against professionals in Florida, even though the damages are purely economic in nature."

Whether the architect misrepresented it knowingly or not he is liable. Would be good to have a reference book on the rules and regulations. This site certainly helps.

Thanks.

kxa...yes, that was my point exactly. Here, we as engineers can also be sued individually for corporate work, so both the corporation and the individual can be separately liable. That makes a corporate indemnity very important in employment decisions!

Fun in the sun with condos!

Good post...it generated a lot of good discussion. We all learn when that happens!

Thanks,
Ron

yes a good post, something we constantly come across ... clients (yes the people who pay us money) asking for a helping hand when they try to save some money by eliminating our inspection services once they have the building permit. Couple of other comments though
1)Comments on disclaimers earlier in the thread.. you never know how good your disclaimer is until your sitting in a court room listening to the lawyers arguing/testing its validity, not a nice place to be.
2) Here, it is the 'Owners" responsibility to retain 'Professionals' to review the design. We offer our services at the time of permit submission and inform them of there duty and tell them basically not to call us after because we can not certify that which we have not seen. It still stunning how many will try though.
3) It takes a long time to build up a good set of clients.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back