Engineering High Pressure Mechanical Seal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dev16

Mechanical
Sep 4, 2018
AU
Hey everyone,

I recently moved from a Pumping Company to a Mechanical Seal company. I'm a mechanical engineer with about 5 years under my belt so far.

Now to the problem. I have been tasked to engineer a mechanical seal for a Butter cooling machine technical details below:

RPM: 490
Temp: 40 -80 deg C
Pressure: 50 - 100bar
Single cartridge seal.

The existing seal is not engineered to withstand 100bar and unfortunately our product range which is capable of handling that pressure is too big for the Seal Cavity. Now my options are limited, I can reach out to our parent company who have the FEA software etc and ask them to engineer something for me. This is my last resort as I would really like to learn and engineer a solution on my own. Our team leader suggested looking at the design parameters for main components of the high pressure seal and trying to make them fit into the smaller cavity.

This leads me onto my questions - Anyone on here have experience engineering high pressure mechanical seals and is able to share their knowledge?

How do you go about it?
for example. at what pressure should I be looking to move away from Set Screw to clamping?

Thank you in advance for your advice and knowledge.
Kind regards,
Dev

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back