Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Engineering in Maine

Status
Not open for further replies.

AUME

Mechanical
Aug 20, 2002
US
Does anyone have insight as to the prospects for a mechanical engineer in Maine? What is the job market like?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Here is alink to the Depart of Labor's webpage for Maine.

Looking for an engineering job in Downeast Maine may be difficult, not a lot of industry other than lobstering and blueberry picking. I have seen some ads this past year for engineers at the papermills and at a wood fired powerplant.

Scan the Bangor newspaper for jobs in the northern half of the state.

Though in the southern part of the state things are better. Some of the companies that I have seen advertising jobs in the section of the state include Bath Iron Works, Sylvania, Jackson Labs, University of Maine, Old Town canoes, and numerous. plastic plants.

Note: Maine does not have an Industrial Exemption, meaning all engineers must be licensed.

Some additional informaton - Announced today 23 Aug 2002
Maine’s unemployment rate of 4.2 percent in July remains below the national average of 5.9 percent. Yet even with major, high-profile layoffs in the state and the nation, such as a loss of 5,000 manufacturing jobs in Maine in the past year, the job market remains relatively unchanged because of employment gains in the service sector.

Thank you Rich2001. I greatly appreciate the information. I had no idea that Maine did not have an idustrial exemption! What has that done to their engineering population? Do people go out of state to practice if they do not want to get their license?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back