Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Engineering iPad apps 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

carnahanad

Structural
Feb 4, 2010
US
Hey guys,

Our company recently bought us iPads. I was hoping that some of my fellow engineers would know about some good apps that help out with work. I'm a structural engineer, but I'm really looking for any app (free or otherwise) that has been helpful in the engineering field. It could be as simple as a calculator or sketch pad to something that breaks down forces and helps with load take down. Even if it's not structural related, I can probably pass it on to the MEPT guys I work with.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Siminsights.com has some really basic web-apps for mechanical and electrical systems simulations (simmotion and simohm) that work on ipad. Sort of like a google docs for simulations.

I swear I got an email today (or maybe saw an add) about an fea package of Iphone or something based on Nastran maybe. I can't find a trace of it now so maybe I'm making things up.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

KENAT said:
I swear I got an email today (or maybe saw an add) about an fea package of Iphone or something based on Nastran maybe. I can't find a trace of it now so maybe I'm making things up.
Hahaha mobile FEA. The next big thing! How cool would it be to mod a beam model on site, on the fly. That'd impress a client.

Siemens has released Mobile Teamcenter for iPad.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Pretty impressed with AutoCAD WS so far. Not fully functional, but certainly a wow-er at the meeting table.

What spreadsheets are you guys using? I need to translate some basic hydrology spreadsheets over to iPad.

I've found GoodReader to be pretty invaluable if you want file management capabilities.

Hydrology, Drainage Analysis, Flood Studies, and Complex Stormwater Litigation for Atlanta and the South East -

If anyone knows of a good spreadsheet app for Android I'd love to hear about it. The two I have tried so far (Sheet to Go and E-cell xls Pro) have beeen less than impressive.

Have you looked at Androffice? I haven't, but it looks reasonable. I have a Blackberry Storm (blech!) and I use DocumentsToGo on occasion. It works "ok" for opening and looking at spreadsheets. I'd expect that any spreadsheet app is going to be a bit crippled due to the lack of a keyboard and mouse.

Oh man, I bought Numbers the other day. It's fantastic. I would abandon Excel completely and just work in the Numbers environment if they had an option for PCs.

With Numbers, each tab is not a simple field of cells. Each tab is a blank page into which you can drag *objects* that are tables, or pictures, or graphs, etc, and you can format each table individually. Cells in one table can reference cells in another table or another tab easily.

Then when you create a new tab, you have the option of either making another blank page into which you can drag more objects, or making a "form" just like an Access or other database form, and reference that form to any of the tables you've already created. So it works just like a database too.

Very, very slick top down design for a piece of software. Pretty intuitive on iPad too. It's not backwards compatible with Excel though, because it can't be, because it's got a better overall topdown design. I'm very impressed.

If only Macs weren't so ungodly overpriced and unintuitive to use and completely lacking in support of the other software I use, I might switch. Numbers is slick.

Hydrology, Drainage Analysis, Flood Studies, and Complex Stormwater Litigation for Atlanta and the South East -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back