Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Engineering Questions 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartPigFace

Mechanical
Mar 16, 2005
GB
Can anyone come up with some decent questions to ask potential employees (to sort the wheat from the chaff!)
Doesn't have to be too complex, just need to check who's able to think!
This would be in the automotive field, in R&D with materials testing possibilities.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If he has had experience, ask him if he could explain his most significant accomplishment in some detail and then it is up to you, the interviewer to probe his answers in as much depth as possible to see if he was a real contributer or just a member of his team.

MartPigFace:
"...just need to check who's able to think!"

In our lab at school, there was a sign on the wall that read, "One valid test is worth a thousand expert opinions."

Maybe subconsciously this thought in part led me to my first post on this thread (20 Mar 05 19:15). In light of your specific needs, the interviewee's answers would allow you to weed out those who do not understand this critical principle. You could taylor your questions so that the bright one(s) will ask appropriate questions about the component/product mfg process, application, and field survival/failure history before they respond with answers for what they consider valid testing.

One of my tenets is that an accurate definition of the problem is a large step in determinig the solution. For example; experience in failure analysis helps me to design for reliability. Show the applicant some failed parts that exihibit classical failure modes and have them identify the failure mechanism. you could lay several failed parts on a table/desk and ask them to choose which one exhibits fatigue, single cycle overload, wear induced failure, etc. Does this pattern exhibit torsional, bending, combined stress? You could select some excerpts from failure reports including photomicrographs, case hardness microhardness traverse, material qualification test reports, etc and ask them to explain the meaning of the results, microstructural anomalies, etc.

In interviewing candidates for membership of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers I found that one knew within five minutes if the interviewee knew what they were talking about. The process involved the candidate preparing a written submission. A panel was formed of experts in the particular field presented. Questions were posed specifically at the written submission. As soon as there was any indecision or vagueness we would concentrate on that area.

Another technique was to ask leading questions with the aim of encouraging the candidate to speak freely. A bit like trying to communicate with a teenager. You cant lecture or ask direct questions you just have to let them speak and judge from what they say as to their depth of knowledge and how they present it to you.

We old timers have to remember that we live in a different Millenium. Now information is readily available and the skill set is knowing how to use it rather than in the past having to remember knowing all the information and a couple of textbooks off by heart. Now we look for articulation and the smarts to read and understand something that is varied and fast moving.

If you want someone to do a routine job dont look for the smartest as they will soon become bored. If you need inventivess and an entrepreneur dont expect them to carry the information in their head.

I was interviewed by an engineering manager who asked a question something like this:

Material A is more expensive, per pound, than material B.
You need a certain volumes of either A or B.
Using the specific gravity of A and B (given), which material would be less expensive.

That tends to identify the extroverts, sales-oriented types and those who have extensive current interview experience over those otherwise qualified individuals who are more modest in their self-descriptions. I'd guess that this line of inquiry might be more relevant to some positions than others.

Norm

debodine,

I like your handle: I will have to visit the "handle" thread to see if you talk about it there.

You said:

"metman:

I wish you success in the treatment of your oldhimers, because now you have me very interested in reading the article you mention!"

All is not lost. I still have a few marbles left. Enjoy:

A Chally Focus Article...A Leadership Primer from General (Ret.) Colin Powell, Secretay of State.

Manhole covers are round so they don't fall into the hole.

I think asking the applicant why he thinks he or she will be an asset to the company would be an excellent way to bring out their iniative and how well they prepared for the interview. You should probe their response to judge their truthfulness and sincerity. How they would think on their own in response to the above question should give you an insight on their though process to come up with solutions solutions to problems. I think if you as the question, you will be surprised at the range of response you will get.

metman:

Yes I discussed my handle in the "handles" forum. I hope you are a Beverly Hillbillies fan, because if you are you will enjoy my discussion of the origin of my handle in that forum.

Thank you for finding that article...General Colin Powell is one of my favorite leaders to read. Such good info I just had to give your post a star!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back