ENGINEERING RESPONSIBILITY 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Struct-007

Structural
Aug 7, 2020
CA
Hi,

I am a new structural engineer in a design office. I am assigned design tasks where I prepare calculations and drawings of structural members (I am not a PE).

The senior engineer (PE who I directly report to but he does not stamp drawings) does not ask me for calculations if I do not provide them to him. However, he talks to me about what to be done and sees the calculations on my screen.

The head of the structural department talks to the senior engineer and stamps the drawings.

My question is, who is responsible if any failure happens due to mistakes in calculations? Is there a reference in the Building Code or anywhere else about such a situation?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

@Ron: Yup... just not big enough to be targets... but, liable, nonetheless... I'm not arguing because I want to (I do sometimes)... it's just to make sure everyone knows that they cannot hang their hat on being out in the clear... also, be cautious about being the 'only technical guy' in the room... and just thought of a third one... don't attend meetings where the client or contractor has his lawyer present, without some representation, yourself...

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back