Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Engineering software use 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

lkikstra

Mechanical
Feb 14, 2001
US
For quite a number of years, we have used AutoCAD (R10, R11, R14, LT) to create all of our engineering documentation. Currently, as in the past, we only use AutoCAD as an "electronic drafting table". In simpler words, 2D drawings. A couple of years ago, we switched all of our mechanical design over to SolidWorks (98Plus thru 2001) because it easily met our needs for 3D solid modeling, product design and detailing for the mechanical components (structure) of our products.

We have found that SolidWorks is not the most efficient software for creating some types of documentation. Because of this, we are still using AutoCAD for the following types of documentation:

Signage (Decals & Signs) and placement.
Schematics (Electrical & Hydraulics)
Instructions (Installation & Assembly)
Control box assemblies & wiring diagrams.

With the sales of AutoCAD R14 on it's way out the door, (and upgradability soon to follow) we are at a point where we need to decide if we are going to upgrade to AutoCAD 2000, migrate (downgrade) to a less expensive AutoCAD 2000 LT, continue using AutoCAD without any further upgrade, or purchase new software to more effectively create and manage these types of engineering documents.

What I would like to do is ask what types of software you use to create the types of documents in the list above. I am looking to identify what software is used by companies to create various engineering documents, beyond what would normally be handled by 3D solid modeling software. If you are continuing to use SolidWorks for some (or all) of this documentation, I would like know how is it working out for you (techniques/procedures would be helpful), or if you are considering different software (if so, which one).

I am not looking for opinions on which software is better, or why. The only criticism I am interested in hearing is if you have had a genuine problem implementing a particular software for a specific task, please let me know.

Your input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Lenny

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A very intriquing topic, one that as the honorary CAD Manager I am constantly trying to resolve (tweak, actually).

Signage:
We don't use plaques or "hard" signs. We do use lots of labels on our products, and hard plagues would be the same.
We model the label as a flat, very thin part. We show that part in the drawing and then use the drawing annotation text (note) to "design" the test height and location. The 2D drawing then controls everything. If we really, and I mean really, need to see the text in an assembly, (or are doing engraving--on a plague) then we model the test using the sketch text function and extrude a cut into the thin label/plague--the depth of the engraving. We could do this for everything, but the sketch text function is more cumbersome than the annotation note and increases file size immensly with little benefit. The part and drawing are saved with the correct part number. When we wrap the label around a cylinder, so it's location shows in an assembly, we create a new label part that has the curvature and is again really thin. We do not save this label with any sort of part number or revision control. We also tried just sketching the entire label in a SWX drawing (same method as ACAD), but then we can't insert the label with the correct part number in the assembly so it appears in the BOM. (Even for the cylindrical label, we insert the partnumbered label, but then hide the compenent).
CONCLUSION: SolidWorks is fine for signage.

Schematics:
During SWX 2000, we still used CrashKEY to do electrical schematics. We DXF'd our parts and imported to CadKey to show the wiring around it. Big pain. The 2D sketch on a drawing was too difficult to constrain for "pure" schematics in SWX also. Now that VISIO can be imported into a SWX drawing (SWX 2K1), we are looking into using VISIO and dumping CADKey. If you do lots of wire routing, you may want to look into Embassy/Works ( It has lots of functionality that you definitely pay for. So much, that we decided is was overkill for our needs and haven't tried it. VISIO does electrical and pnuematic and then some.
CONCLUSION: SolidWorks (without an add-on) stinks for schematics. Works well with VISIO assuming you "Insert, Schematic" from a SWX drawing (to get the right scale for the drawing).

Instructions:
We do instructions the same as everyone else that I know. We create the figures in SWX and insert them as objects into M$ Word to match up with the written instructions. You could go backwords... insert a Word document into SolidWorks.
CONCLUSION: A combination of SWX and MSWord is the best for instructions.

Control Box Assemblies & Wiring diagrams:
Don't have much experience here. The schematics subject probably covers this pretty well, though.

Email me if you wish to discuss this more. --Scott Wertel
scottw@interfaceforce.com

I've no idea why anyone actually buys full AutoCAD anymore. LT is equally as good for 2D, and arguably better, and the full version is not particulary great at 3D work, IMO, and certainly not good enough to justify the extra money. Here we use LT for all 2D work, (works instructions, schematics, etc), MS Word for any purely text based stuff, (too much hassle getting graphics into Word), and MasterCAM for any 3D work, (we don't really do any assemblies, so this works fine). We really only use our software for what it was meant for, rather than try and force out other uses for it. It rarely works easily we find, and is just more work, hassle, and annoyance than just doing it the right tools to start with!

AutoCAD2000+ with the ACIS4 3d modeling engine is excellent for creating 3D models. It is a vast improvement over R14 in this area. I am surprised that autodesk is not using this as a selling point more forcefully. We use Autocad2000 for our 2d and 3d structural drawings and it is excellent.
We use a small in-house add-on package that makes life with autocad2000 in a 3D environment very simple. I agree that prior to AC2000 the 3D capabilities of autocad were quite limited.

Peter

Thanks for the information. Most is usefull in helping us decide what software to use.

I think we're getting a bit off the original subject here.

The initial question is as follows:

We have found that SolidWorks is not the most efficient software for creating some types of documentation. Because of this, we are still using AutoCAD for the following types of documentation:

Signage (Decals & Signs) and placement.
Schematics (Electrical & Hydraulics)
Instructions (Installation & Assembly)
Control box assemblies & wiring diagrams.

What I would like to do is ask what types of software you use to create the types of documents in the list above. I am looking to identify what software is used by companies to create various engineering documents, beyond what would normally be handled by 3D solid modeling software.

Thanks again,

Lenny

Somehow I got straddled with all safety and product information labels for new products, (medical lasers).

All our outside label vendors use FreeHand ver 8 thru 10 to create their artwork. This is a $300 to $400 program but I can give them files used directly into their process.

Free downloads for 30 days will give you the feel of it.

[free download]
[free tutorials]

agv

Sinage: We use AutoCad and/or SolidWorks to design the labels. Granted, most of our labels are only text, but if there is a graphical component, then we use AutoCad. If things are really appearance driven, then we will even use Adobe Illustrator.

Sinage Placement: In an isometric drawing we create a label "model" in SolidWorks or we create a 2d sketch directly on the model to show placement of the sinage. This is nice because you have th eoption in SolidWorks to Hide the 2d sketch when you don't want to see it.

Schematics: In addition to creating our own mechanical parts and assemblies, we design our own circuit boards and harnesses. These are still done in AutoCad or OrCad (
Instructions: These are created in MS Word, with either the AutoCad or SolidWorks drawings inserted into the text as objects.

Control box assemblies & wiring diagrams: These are created in AutoCad.

A point to ponder, SolidWorks is a great "design" tool. AutoCad is a great "documentation" tool. We like to use both for what they were made to accomplish. "Happy the Hare at morning for she is ignorant to the Hunter's waking thoughts."

We use EPLAN to create our electrical schematic documentation. As one guy has said, why use AutoCAD, it is a drawing package not a dedicated software suite. EPLAN will allow you to draw a schematic and automatically create your Bill of Materials, Terminal diagrams, wiring lists, and if you are using PLC's the PLC assignment list can be automatically created from the schematics. This process also works in reverse using the schematic wizard.
try

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back