Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Engineering Titles 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

natew2006

Bioengineer
Dec 20, 2006
US
I'm a young engineer trying to sift through all the nomenclature of engineering titles. Can someone explain the difference between R&D, Product Development, Product, and Project Engineers (if there is a difference)? THanks so much in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

They have different meanings from one company to the next. Our R&D folks are not engineers they are PhDs in Physics.

thread731-173081

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SW2007 SP 2.0 & Pro/E 2001
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time.

The short answer is "No."

The long answer is, it often varies from company to company, and people to people.

At my company, we decide on the title we want to appear on our business cards. Some guys with 30 years experience simply use "Mechanical Engineer". Another guy with 2 years experience has "Sr. Lead Mechanical Engineer".

Titles don't really mean much.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

In the auto biz:

R&D, blue sky bookshelfed technology. A sinecure.

Product Development, a large organisation that designs and develops the next car. Hated by manufacturing. Despised by head office.

Product engineers - someone who works in PD directly responsible for some set of components or a system. A harmless drudge

Project Engineers - anyone who can be left on their own with a stapler and won't get in too much trouble.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

So Greg, are you in R&D or PD or ?? And how could manufacturing not love the PD group; aren't all auto designs perfectly producible at minimal cost? ;)

Steve

In my experience, automotive R+D engineers write SAE papers and have nicer offices than those who have the more boring job of designing and developing cars to sell.

natew2006....I hate to open this can of worms, but titles have legal implications as well. In engineering disciplines where licensure is expected (Civil, Structural, Mechanical, Electrical and many others), the term "engineer" is protected and is generally only to be used by those who are licensed. That is the law in most states of the US.

Outside the licensing realm, it is generally a company specific designation that will vary from company to company.

varies greatly depending upon the field of engineering you are in. For civil consulting field we often use the following:

Principal - officer in the company, able to sign and execute contracts, manages a branch, department or office, generally a registered professional engineer in charge of the operation. Appoints a project manager to a project.

Project manager - writes scope of work, negotiates contracts and manages the entire project including the budgeting, client relations, invoicing etc.

project engineer - reports directly to the project manager and is generally in charge of the technical aspects of the project

engineer - one of many who report to the project engineer and do the grunt work, also called staff engineer

Hi cvg,

Approximately how many years of relevant working experience and qualification for each catagory of principal, project manager, project engineer and engineer?

these vary depending upon the office, region, practice area etc. In our department:
Principal 20+ years, corporate officer, PE
proj manager 10+ years, PE
proj engineer 5+ years, PE
engineer minimum of EIT

note that not all project engineers will become project managers as there is a limited requirement for managers and not all have the necessary management and people skills to be successful in that role

Ron, is right.

" generally only to be used by those who are licensed. That is the law in most states of the US."

"Outside the licensing realm, it is generally a company specific designation that will vary from company to company."

In private companies, you can call the janitor an building engineer. The difference is simple; authority you have to approve the use of resources, enter into contracts, and whats in the pay check.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back